4k, 8k telecine

Landon D. Parks

Can someone give me a good estimate of how much it would cost to telecine Super 35mm to 4k or POSSIBLY (If it exist's) 8k Uncompressed to Hard Disk's? Say like 2 1/2 hours worth of footage or so?

Can;t seem to find places to tell me much on the prices, and I dont feel like making a lot of phone calls right now. :huh:

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi,

What, we should make the phone calls for you? Email and ask! Normally it's priced per frame. In any case that service is largely useless to you unless you're going to do other things, like edit it and render it out, and it's usually quoted as a package.

Phil

• Premium Member
Can someone give me a good estimate of how much it would cost to telecine Super 35mm to 4k or POSSIBLY (If it exist's) 8k Uncompressed  to Hard Disk's? Say like 2 1/2 hours worth of footage or so?

Can;t seem to find places to tell me much on the prices, and I dont feel like making a lot of phone calls right now.  :huh:

Thanks!

Kodak Laser Pacific offers a wide variety of scanning and recording services:

http://www.laserpacific.com

Their services are combined with Kodak CineSite:

http://www.cinesite.com/?163

In most avarage shots, with avarage filmstocks, there would be nothing to pick up with a 8K scan that would improove the image. The grain might be better sampled, and sharper, but that's all. And with a little bit of sharpening, and adjustment, nobody would see the difference between an uprezzed 4K scan and 8K scan unless you toled them to stare at it and watch for sublte differences in the look of grain. The limit of 35mm goes beyond 4K of course, but this limit is not reached in most cases. And even if it were, there are no 8K scanners today.

There will be the new imagica with 10K sensors soon, but it will output only 4K.

Northlight has 8K sensors, but uses only 6K of them for image scanning.

Can someone give me a good estimate of how much it would cost to telecine Super 35mm to 4k or POSSIBLY (If it exist's) 8k Uncompressed  to Hard Disk's? Say like 2 1/2 hours worth of footage or so?

Okay. 2.5 hours x 5500 feet/hour = 13750 feet

x 16 frames/foot = 220,000 frames

x 1.50/frame = $330,000.

You really have a lot of strange ideas as to where technology is today in the real world of film production/post production. Unless, of course, you also are independently wealthy and actually have a spare $330,000.00 sitting around for a personal project.

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

I doubt you would see any difference in a 4k and 8k image, film roughly works out as being 12 megapixels, which is pretty much 4k. An 8k image might have a slight EDGE, but for that slight edge it just would'nt be worth the money. Can you imagine how big 2 1/2 hours worth of 4k (let alone 8k) footage would be? My 400,000 pixel MiniDV camera takes up about 15 gig an hour.

Even a film as big as Lord of the Rings, used 2k.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sean McVeigh

Can;t seem to find places to tell me much on the prices, and I dont feel like making a lot of phone calls right now.  :huh:

Thanks!

Okay, I swear I will stop posting now...

In case you hadn't considered it.. I'll point out another interesting cost for you.

at 4K, 2.5 hours will take up somewhere on the order of 10000GB of disk space (10 terabytes).

OUCH.

That's a lot of disk drives!

(and as for the estimate of $1.50/frame.. that's a damn good deal for 4K! I thought the figures were around twice that price).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I do have one question: Is 4k or 6k somewhat the equivalent to a 16 bits uncompressed image? Or am I talking stupidity?

The 4K or 6K refer to the number of pixels across the width of the scanned image.

16 bits is the quantization, or how many bits are used to represent the pixel tonal value.

The Kodak website has a simplified tutorial about digital imaging:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/dlc/book3/index.shtml

and as for the estimate of $1.50/frame.. that's a damn good deal for 4K!  I thought the figures were around twice that price

Actually, I was getting 4K scanning done on a movie I was working on in Rome last year for about .85/frame. And that was for visual effects shots, so it wasn't the typical "volume" discount you'd expect when scanning an entire feature. Of course, that was in Rome.

Prices on both scanning and recording have come down a bit as the volume has increased (thanks to digital intermediate work) and the technology has gotten faster (in other words, it takes less time than it used to).