Desert - Flash Light

Hi,

I am looking for advice in the following,

I will be shooting soon a short film which involves night desert shoot. The characters run with flashlights. I want to have the flashlights beam be a cyan color and have a big projection distance. I am working with a video camera that has an ASA of 400-500 aprox. The whole scene is really low light and there will be sand and dust in the air and I would like to se the beam of light. Can some one give some ideas of which flashlights to use or is there some trick with some special unit or something? Any help would be great!

Many Thanks!

Miguel

• Premium Member

Hi,

See if you can get some of those xenon lamps they had in Jurassic Park, or similar - video will render them very blue, and they're pretty bright. There are xenon bicycle lights - ten watts each - which might help here. Otherwise rig something up with some MR16s, for which you might even be able to find cyan filtered types. You'll almost certainly have a chunky battery to carry there, though, and don't overlook charging and swapout issues while working.

Why does the "ASA" rating of the video camera matter? What you have there is almost certainly wrong anyway - which camera is it?

Phil

• Premium Member

You can rent those big bright xenon flashlights (daylight-balanced) like used in the T-Rex attack in "Jurassic Park". You can use the bright "Surefire" type flashlights but these are tungsten and I don't think would survive being gelled cyan and give you enough light.

For smoking a large area, you can try a gas jet fogger. Think about how you are going to backlight people because a flashlight just throws the light forward and you might not see anything but the bright beam unless one person is holding a flashlight behind another person.

Thanks for the help,

I will look in to it now (any recomendations where should I call?). I am working how to backlit them, is a complciated scene with tracking camera...about the camera ASA I think it matters to know the sensitivity of the camera. Why would it not matter?

Thanks!

Miguel