Problem with HPX 500

Philip J. Martinez

I was on a shoot today with 2 -HPX 500 cameras. This was the 2nd shoot with them and I have been on both shoots. Nothing has happened to the cameras, they have been on tri-pods inside for both shoots. They go in pelican cases for the drive back to the storage.

twards the end of the 90 shoot one of the camera went blue while rolling like the white balance changed but it had not. Has this ever happened to anyone?

The camera should go back, it is brand new but it might be a little hard to get the company to send it in.

Thanks,

Philip

I have seen that in really old cameras where there is no solid click between A balance and B balance, so during a shot the camera switches over to another mid-shot. But hearing how new the camera is that doesn't seem likely. Maybe there is a problem with the cameras QC on the switch they installed? I can't imagine it being a camera fleet-wide issue, maybe just a bad build? Shouldn't the camera be within the warranty if its so new? Did your op see an inicator to the effect of 'White B' when the switch is on A or visa versa?

Last question, did it go back, either through operator fix or just by itself? That could be telling too.

the white balance switch was not touched. It seems like something inside the camera.It did go back to "normal" I'll try to post the the shot if I can get it.

It should go back in I'm sure it is still under warranty however it is a big company that is not a rental or video production house. There is a lot of red tape to get anything done.

I do not know where they got the cameras but I guess you just call Panasonic.

Does anyone have a # for them better then just calling 411?

Thanks

HI Guys,

Thank you for all the replies. It is something inside the camera nothing got dumped. The white balance switch was not touched and the filter wheel was not touched. On the 500 only ND is in the filter wheel you have to set 32 or 56 in the menu. There was no monitor on set just the LCD on the camera. I checked the card in the other camera so I know it was recorded to the card. seems strange.

If I find out what it is I'll let you know.

Thanks again

Philip,

Doesn't the 500 have the ability for "auto-tracking white balance"? Could this have been switched on?

Miles

I do not know if it has "auto-tracking" that could be it.

The color changed in the middle of a Med. shot on the host, at 1st he looked "normal" and then went a purpleish blue. The lighting was a little strange, very amber and blue gels used on the lights lighting the stage. I white balanced that out and from there it changed.

I have to use the cameras again on Friday dont know if I can get to them before then so it could happen again only time will tell.

Thanks!

Hi Philip,

I'm not sure if it does or doesn't. We have one at the office but I'm on holiday now and won't be back for at least a week. I could also be getting it confused with one of our other cams.

You could try posting on the dvx site (dvxuser). They have a forum for the HPX500.

Let us know what you find out.

Miles