Any advice about transferring 25P to film?

Guest twist

Any advice about transferring 25P to film? Is it a good idea to do so? Any problem will occur?

I'm from a country with PAL TV system.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well, that's a pretty wide question, but in general, no, it'll be fine - in fact, it'll look somewhat better than NTSC, because you've got more resolution. The only oddity is that your 25fps sound will suddenly be slightly too long for your 24fps picture, but systems exist to speed up or slow things down to match. Obviously, you'll need to research this with whoever does your transfer.

Phil

Make sure that you have a blip and white frame at a specified point so the sound can be synched to the picture. This is not common practice in video.

Pitch correction of audio can take place at the lab if you ask.

The only issue is if there is a music as the performers will notice that it is playing slightly slow.

For 30 years we have been watching Hollywood movies playing slightly fast on PAL TVs.

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Hi,

Actually they often don't. More recently this has been the case with US shows finished as 24P being frame-for-framed to PAL, but until most stuff was being finished as HD, we saw NTSC to PAL conversions of the NTSC transfers. Yes, it made big-ticket shows like Star Trek and ER look absolutely rotten, and yes, the modern stuff looks far better, since the resolution, aspect ratio and frame rate are all now without artifacts.

Phil

I wouldn't worry too much. Most commercial theatres in Europe show the film (unintended) at 25fps. This is easy to check with a chronometer (if you know the true length of the film).

I also called a major European projector manufacturer in Germany and they confirmed my findings.