"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"

Just read the article in the AC on the Genesis film in Dante Spinotti lit. He also seems to be fine with shooting with a 360 degree shutter. I seriously wonder how everyone thinks they can get away with that, even 270 gives noticeable smear.

Because to some people smear is just as visually interesting as an anamorphic flare.

• Premium Member
Because to some people smear is just as visually interesting as an anamorphic flare.

But unless you use it as an effect it (as Spinotti seems to have done according to David), it is just very distracting to most people. I've had friends who have nothing to do with the filmindustry complain about the smearing in Collateral for instance.

I think I read that in an AC article. He did mention that he used a long shutter quite often.

AC Jan 07':

"Semler increased the camera gain by as much as one stop, yielding an ASA of 2560. “This all sounds wonderful, but care must be taken to avoid noise and unwanted blurring,” he says. “At these extremely low light levels, the Genesis sees what your eye doesn’t, what you’ve never been accustomed to seeing. I prefer a 270-degree shutter and a 1/2 stop of gain for less blur and noise at an ASA of 1280, but in desperate times, I have gone all the way.”

Even though Apocalypto had a lot of motion smear, it is by far the best looking HD film, thus far.

Way to embarass yourself Mr. Semler, not even knowing the correct ISO numbers of 1250 and 2500. . .

:blink:

Edited by Karl Borowski

I watched the Blu Ray and liked it pretty much overall. But it's the second Genesis sourced BD I have seen that has issues with strange aliasing artifacts (the other is "Next"). Some of the aliasing is the normal kind around high contrast full res edges, but there is also very visible wobbling of vertical lines at times. I can't believe that this is the kind of picture coming from the Genesis. Looks like a post problem or disk mastering problem. Anybody know more about this wobbling and its source?

There is a featurette about the film(ing) and Lumet makes some statements in it about HD versus film that surely must have made some fellow heads turn purplish and shaking with anger and disbelief. :lol:

But unless you use it as an effect it (as Spinotti seems to have done according to David), it is just very distracting to most people. I've had friends who have nothing to do with the filmindustry complain about the smearing in Collateral for instance.

Couldn't agree more.

Couldn't agree more.

Same here.

Alas, the same problems that they had in the 1950s with using video instead of 35mm film on "The Twilight Zone" still persist some 50 years later.

Video cameras have gotten a lot better, but they still have a distracting, pasty look to them. It's surprising that it is still noticeable on standard definition TV too. I think ultimately this is more a result of the smaller color range of HD than of shutter smearing, except in extreme cases.

• Premium Member

I think if someone set out to make video look like film on SD broadcast TV, they could come very close and fool a lot of people. But they'd have to have that goal in mind. I agree a lot of it has to do with color representation and how highlights are handled, but these can be fixed to a very large extent by a good colorist.