Gear assecories

Hello. This is my first post and hope it's not a redundant one. I already have my light kit in place and now I'd like to know what "extra" gear would you guys recommend. I have my own 35mm adapter and I have scrim and stands of course. But what else would be something to help along the way. Any suggestions would be great. Even a link to an old post.

thanks and all the best,

-Rich H.

• Premium Member

For lights I'd grab some nice 1/2 CTO and 1/2 CTB rolls off of filmtools or BH

Maybe a few other assorted gels and definitally some 216 diffusion

also, and a lot depends on what lights they are, but some Cartillinis, Mathews Clamps, Scissor clips, C47s (wooden Clothes Pins)

12 gauge or 10 gauge extension cords (black is preferable and I like mine in 25 foot lengths at most).

Gaffers tape (black) and some Black Wrap (basically black tin foil)

just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 35mm adapter?

For lights I'd grab some nice 1/2 CTO and 1/2 CTB rolls off of filmtools or BH

Maybe a few other assorted gels and definitally some 216 diffusion

also, and a lot depends on what lights they are, but some Cartillinis, Mathews Clamps, Scissor clips, C47s (wooden Clothes Pins)

12 gauge or 10 gauge extension cords (black is preferable and I like mine in 25 foot lengths at most).

Gaffers tape (black) and some Black Wrap (basically black tin foil)

just out of curiosity, what do you mean by 35mm adapter?

The 35mm adapter that allows you to use SLR lens on 1/3 cameras. Like Mini35. I've got Gels. I should've mentioned that as well. But thanks for that. I'll look into more. I heard at NAB the had CTO gels that fit right over the bulbs. That'll be nice.

Yeah. I figured I'd have my own to go with my kit. I figured, if I'm going to be in charge of the lens used I might want to consider having the adapter using the lens.

Also, I was looking at this thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...=lighting+setup

And wanted to know what the "black screen" material was for. It's on the first picture with the black girl laying on the bed in the right hand corner. I think it's called "blacwrap". What's it puprose? Diffuse light?

• Premium Member

It's black wrap. It's not for diffusion; rather it's for controlling light, most notably stopping light from hitting part of the frame, crating a cut/slash, basically making a shadow (so for example, if you didn't want a light "spilling," onto a wall, you could control it with a flag, or blackwrap, whichever works best.) Blackwrap is also known as cine-foil.

Lighting kits are definitely the best investment you can make. They never go bad!

It's black wrap. It's not for diffusion; rather it's for controlling light, most notably stopping light from hitting part of the frame, crating a cut/slash, basically making a shadow (so for example, if you didn't want a light "spilling," onto a wall, you could control it with a flag, or blackwrap, whichever works best.) Blackwrap is also known as cine-foil.

Lighting kits are definitely the best investment you can make. They never go bad!

Ahh, okay..so it's like a barn door, but broader. I read ya. Thanks a lot for your replies.