Snickers Commercial

Matt Workman

So here is a VFX heavy spot for Snickers shot on the Genesis.

There is a sweet behind the scenes video that shows the original plates and the comps.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4496

-What is the shiny board/light they are using for the talent? Haven't seen that before, seems really strong.

-Looks like plates had a magenta soft/grad filter on them that was removed later. Thought they would have just used ND/Grad, or nothign seeing that the sky is replaced in every shot.

- Pretty cool they just remove the dolly track for the one wide push-in. Wish I could just leave the track in and have someone remove it in "post." :lol:

I'm a VFX guy at heart, I loved Transformers, so I guess this will interest like minded camrera people more than others...

Have you heard of the DP before? Fun gig.

Matt

BTW DP is Maher Melah.

Love the shot with the solid acting as the shadow of the "rugby/jetengine." That is some clever stuff, gotta get smarter. Or maybe the VFX supervisor recommended that. Looks like they used the actual shadow of the cutout in the final comp also. Damn clever.

Also they were shooting HDRI 3D plates so a lot of the sky/background is definitely brought back in post. Cheating...in other words.

I think they were going for a purposely dirty camera move feel, but it seems like it would have been easier to have CG background plates considering how much was done in post. Maybe not.

Matt

• Premium Member
-What is the shiny board/light they are using for the talent? Haven't seen that before, seems really strong.

Just looks like a shiny board, soft side, sitting on the ground (grid pattern is the leaf). It IS bright when it's pointed into the lens!

I've shot at that airplane boneyard in Mojave before. It's definitely a cool (but hot) location.