How to define the Best?

Vincent LAM

hi all i'm a very newbie of this industry, i would like to know how to define best picture? how would u say the DOP of the xxx movies is awesome? i'm sorry for this stupid question, peace :P

I sort of just posted a response to a somwhwat similar question on this forum. But here I'll give a different answer:

If the filmmaker consistently pulls you into the story/characters behavior/relationships without drawing attention to him or herself or the movie-making process.

I sort of just posted a response to a somwhwat similar question on this forum. But here I'll give a different answer:

If the filmmaker consistently pulls you into the story/characters behavior/relationships without drawing attention to him or herself or the movie-making process.

Very good answer!

The story is what matters and how the audience perceives it.

The behind-the-scenes stuff is for us filmmakers, so that we can have fun. :)

Peace.

• Premium Member
Very good answer!

The story is what matters and how the audience perceives it.

The behind-the-scenes stuff is for us filmmakers, so that we can have fun. :)

Peace.

It's more complicated than that. Some movies are more driven by their visual experience and ask to be enjoyed with the same aesthetic pleasure of looking at paintings and art photographs, with less emphasis on plot or characters.

So the only way to answer who are the best cinematographers is to ask yourself what movies you have enjoyed for their visuals. Otherwise it's a bit academic, like a blind man asking for advice on what colors to wear.

Just realize that a good work of cinematography (like any visual art) goes beyond simplistic notions of "prettiness". The images are there to enhance and support intellectual concepts, emotions, performances, and make clear complex action and plotting. And "the point" of a shot has to be digested much faster than with a still photograph or a painting because it is on screen for such a brief time.

It's more complicated than that. Some movies are more driven by their visual experience and ask to be enjoyed with the same aesthetic pleasure of looking at paintings and art photographs, with less emphasis on plot or characters.

So the only way to answer who are the best cinematographers is to ask yourself what movies you have enjoyed for their visuals. Otherwise it's a bit academic, like a blind man asking for advice on what colors to wear.

Just realize that a good work of cinematography (like any visual art) goes beyond simplistic notions of "prettiness". The images are there to enhance and support intellectual concepts, emotions, performances, and make clear complex action and plotting. And "the point" of a shot has to be digested much faster than with a still photograph or a painting because it is on screen for such a brief time.

Thanks.

Sometimes I seem to be overzealous in my pursuit of simplicity.