Light and film

Hello ,

i am shooting a scene in a room at the sunrise and ill put an hmi 18k coming from the window as sun light , i will use a half cto on it to have a 4000k as it is in the morning , is this a good idea? and for the film its a good choice to use a 250 D kodak on a s16mm cam for this room and only hmi lights with small corrections in cto? i will need any kind special filters?

Thank you .

Gilbert.

• Premium Member

Hi,

I don't know what stop you plan to shoot or if you are shooting 16/35. With an 18K you could use a slower film, I have shot 64D, when the largest source I had was a 1200 par.

Stephen

Hello ,

i am shooting a scene in a room at the sunrise and ill put an hmi 18k coming from the window as sun light , i will use a half cto on it to have a 4000k as it is in the morning , is this a good idea? and for the film its a good choice to use a 250 D kodak on a s16mm cam for this room and only hmi lights with small corrections in cto? i will need any kind special filters?

Thank you .

Gilbert.

Hi,

I don't know what stop you plan to shoot or if you are shooting 16/35. With an 18K you could use a slower film, I have shot 64D, when the largest source I had was a 1200 par.

Stephen

Hi again, just to know what do you meen by 16/35 ? .

I am planing to shoot at 4 f stop and using a film 250 D but on the spotmeter i will work on 200 D to have more density in the image , you think its lot having an 18 k on the set ? it will be reflecting in the room specialy the room is all made of wood .i prefer having more light then having little and on the set so i can control the light i want .

Thanks for you .

Gilbert

We've just shot a similar set up. Using 1.2HMI ARRI. Shooting kodak 5205 250D. Although we were shooting 35mm and not s16.

The light had to be pretty close to the window. But we were able to get around 5.6/8 split.

We were overexposing a bit so ended up opening about a stop.

It was supposed to be early morning as well.

So assuming that 1.2 HMI gave us about 5.6 clean(actually we had a 1/4 promist on, no ND at 250 ASA)

through the window at about 8' feet to the subject,your 18k should be in around f11 if not f16.

So the suggestion to give it some distance is excellent.

I don't know if you're going for a shallow depth of field, but if you are, I would say make sure

you have some heavy ND's ready.

In any case,

All the luck.

Alex Volkov

Edited by alex volkov