Noizy Fujica zc1000

Benjamin Coppens

Is it normal that my Fujica is very noizy at 24 fps? (Impossible to record dialogue)

Is it possible to lube the camera?

How can I do that?

Does a repair manual in English or French exist?

I can't find anything on the web...

Thanks!

Is it normal that my Fujica is very noizy at 24 fps? (Impossible to record dialogue)

How can I do that?

Thanks!

Practically all 8mm cameras are too noisy to record dialogue at close range, you need to blimp the camera to silence it, which is a whole art in itself. Just make silent films instead.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi BC

FWIW we have a copy of the ZC1000 repair manual. It's in three sections- first (84pp or so) covers the boy, the second the grip, and the third the lens. We got it when we bought our ZC1000 back in 1980.

Our copy is a xerox made at Fugica --they were out of stock on originals ( the note apologizing is still with the docs ) and we were in a hurry. Sigh.. the camera was bought for a project (an SFX camera system; the ZC1000 was to be for previewing/testing ) that was discontinued almost at the start (dammit) because we got swamped with other work. We never ran any film - didnt even buy any!

I was TD for an outfit doing SFX for adverts and entertaiment, and designed, had built, and programmed a computer-controlled camera stand - sigh ! The ZC1000 mounted on that would have been a kick! But same deal -- too much work.

I did put in batteries when we received it, and ran it for a few seconds just to verify function. I don't recall it being noisy ( also had a Bolex R16 and another Bolex(8 mm). I wouldn't run a cam that I suspected was too "noisy" - noise means A contacting B - and excess noise can mean excess wear or just plain destruction. At the least I'd lift some of the casing off and just eyeball/listen and get a clue.

And I wouldn't even run our ZC1000 - other than briefly at 12 fps, for instance, until I'd gone over the thing and/or had it maintenanced by a pro. Why ? Because it's been sitting for 28 years and lubricants can turn to varnish.

FWIW2U, the manual is to be sold with the camera when I can figure how to sell it ! HOWEVER! I don't know what the availabiliy of the manual is, and possibly it might be helpful to ZC1000 fans to run off some copies. (Which means I might have to ---arrrrgh!---look at copyright (?) )

Have fun - and be nice to that ZC1000. One reason I've held onto it is that I think its a beautiful piece of work.

Ed

How can I do that?

Thanks!

Rehi

Wake me up, somebody. I KNOW its FUJICA, not FUGICA !. Damned if I didn't catch the typo the first time, then just repeat it.

Ed

Practically all 8mm cameras are too noisy to record dialogue at close range, you need to blimp the camera to silence it, which is a whole art in itself. Just make silent films instead.