Just saw the film tonight. Starting out it was just ho-hum eye candy, but very efficient at getting the backstory across. As the film progressed I got more and more into it as it had a sort of crescendo to it all, and the climax had my eyes wide open, it was awesome! Gave me the same feeling I had with the original Matrix when Neo discovers he's "The One", ha ha.

My only problems with the film was the amount of greenscreen work. Now Tattersall might be the undisputed king of shooting greenscreen, but I saw a lot of issues in this one, not many of which were Tattersall's fault at all. Some really hard edges got me distracted, the same bluish lowlights in skintones that I saw in the Star Wars movies and the stark difference between the combinations of upres'd 1080 live action footage mixed with the ultra high res CGI was definitely noticeable and distracting.

Yeah, Revenge of the Sith suffers from that problem, bigtime. When you see Obi Wan, Mace Windu and Yoda talking on that one ship, you notice that Yoda is like ten times sharper and more detailed than the live humans shot at 1080p.

Guest Billy Furnett

Would you guys say what it offers in terms of visuals and story make it a theater experience must, or is it awesome (Or not) , but can just as easily be waited for on DVD?

I?m on the fence about go to seeing it, because the early hype I caught a while back was packaged (in my perception) as a darker edged send up, but the rug has been potentially pulled out beneath my feet now that I see it?s more family, or kid orientated -which doesn?t equal bad, just a different viewing atmosphere to me, and not really what it looked like in early hype.

Thanks

Go, see now!!! Saw it yesterday! I don't care if it bombed, the movie is an artistic masterpiece of pop culture. The slowish beginning actually led to a climax so brilliant it had the entire auditorium giving it a standing ovation. Visually brilliant (altho the bluish fringe was noticeable in some points) I honestly could not believe how it looked. It came across as 60's pop art brought to life before my eyes, complete with sometimes bizzare yet brilliant color choices. The acting was over the top, and for this, it worked. The whole movie was over the top and in your face, eye candy turning into a masterpiece.

Go and see it, see it on IMAX, see it on film, see it on digital, doesn't matter, just see it!

It is a movie I feel that will bomb at the box office but become a classic remembered in AFI's top 100 films of the 21st century, breaking new territory and laying the groundwork for future filmmakers worldwide.

I'm always willing to forgive a few mistakes when someone brings a genuinely new vision to the table. More so than THE MATRIX, the filmmakers are committed to visualizing in a language that's at once new, a conjunction of existing styles, and all their own. So many films claim to show you something new, but with SPEED RACER that claim is real. It's primarily designed for kids ? but don't be dissuaded by naysayers; it's highly entertaining and you'll be on your feet cheering at the climax.

See it in IMAX if at all possible.