DVCPRO HD, depth, space and everything

rhinoceroz

Hi,

question for you all...

I'm about to shoot a feature on S16, then transfer everything to DVC-pro HD and edit in FCP. My question is, what is the bit depth of DVCpro HD? Can I ask the transfer house to transfer at 10bits?

Second question, how much disc space would be required to store DVCPRO HD at 10bits? For, let's say, 1 hour? How about 8bits? Is 10 bits, full rez, even workable in FCP?

Third question: If the transfer house does my transfer without sound and I sync my dat recorded track to my DVC pro HD tracks in FCP, will it fit, or will I have to do some funky things to sync it?

Thank you very much for your time. And yes.. I'm on a budget.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Don't cross-post; see also my response in the other forum.

DVCPRO-HD is a 100mbps format; four times DV. Plus overhead, assuming you're capturing native format via that firewire hack they've done, that's around 15 megs a second. You could choose to capture it as uncompressed 10bit assuming you have access to a Kona HD card and it might buy you some improvements in the long run, but they'd be pretty marginal, and it's a steep price hike.

Phil

• Premium Member

not tried it myself, but an alternative workflow would be to transfer to HDCAM and use a Sony JH3 to firewire in the footage, then find a nice person with a 10bit HD card and an XRAID and reconform from your FTP project. Your added expense would be about 150 UKP for a day for a JH3 and about 350UKP for a HDCAM deck for a day. For sound you could always clone your DATs to DV tape and firewire or get someone to convert them to WAV or AIFF files.

Keith