HD...HDCAM....

Malik Sajid

I dont know if its the right forum to start this tthread, but i could find any general forum where i could start, so put here.

Well, i am confused what are these? HDCAM....HDV?????

I am a newbie here, starting out, all i heard; could be wrong; is that one can transfer HD data directly to computer via hard disks chip installed in the camera.

Then what is HD CAM? Is it an option to record the HD Data while shooting on a Tape, which have some how far better quality than dv or dv cam or even beta.

I will be grateful to have your inputs.

• Premium Member

HDCAM is a tape format; from what i recall it's 3:1:1 @8 bit. HDV is a compression codec recorded on a mini-DV tape 4:2:0 @8Bit. What you're speaking of is the tapeless workflow you get with Panasonics P2 Cards/Sonys XDCams and various other systems (RED, Phantom, Genesis's new Hard drive recorder) all of which record a compression coded, be it DVCProHD (P2) AVCIntra, Panalog etc. . .

As all of these formats are HD, they have more data, and more room to record data as compared to SD options like DV/DVCam and Beta.

Great Question!

Here is a web site to look at (see below link) on the left side I would check out "Sony Professional Recording Formats & Media Compatibility". HD CAM is breed of tape made by Sony. It has advanced metal particle tape in Sony's 1/2 professional tape. The metal particles provides >45db carrier-to-noise ratio and low videohead wear giving the user a better digital performance. There is a speical lubricant on the tape which protects the tape surface and maintains the optimal contact with the recording heads.

The most advanced metal partical tape is called HDCAM SR whichs records up too 1080/4:4:4 it also has a Tele-File label with the IC memory built on the cassette to capture content metadata (read in post). Note that Sony SRW1 and Panavision Genesis only accept the small HDCAM SR cassettes. Always check with your rental house with tape questions on there cameras and decks. Most important the DP and a D.I.T. will have some type of contact with POST and production on formats. So check with your DP and D.I.T. before or during your prep.

Sony's Tape department is called "Promedia"... www.sony.com/promedia

Mark August, S.O.C.

Panavision Hollywood

HD Department

I dont know if its the right forum to start this tthread, but i could find any general forum where i could start, so put here.

Well, i am confused what are these? HDCAM....HDV?????

I am a newbie here, starting out, all i heard; could be wrong; is that one can transfer HD data directly to computer via hard disks chip installed in the camera.

Then what is HD CAM? Is it an option to record the HD Data while shooting on a Tape, which have some how far better quality than dv or dv cam or even beta.

I will be grateful to have your inputs.

It's easy to get caught up in the minutia of all the formats and cameras, etc.

But the basics of what you NEED to know are this:

Who is your client? If you're not shooting FOR YOU then THEY determine what format they need based on what post production workflow they are setup and comfortable to use.

If your client is YOU, then you determine what the final distribution format will be which in turn impacts what acquisition format to use.

If you want the HIGHEST quality ELECTRONIC format (not film), then you need to shoot with (acquire images with) something like a Panavision Genesis, Dalsa, or RED.

If you need close to the best quality, then acquire images with the Sony F900 or F900R or Panasonic Varicam.

If you are on a budget and the quality isn't the highest priority, then choose something in the HDV level.

I'm sure that others can contribute additional specific cameras to those three categories, but apart from delivery specs, it will always be the skill of the Cameraman who is actually lighting and manipulating the settings on the camera that will provide the quality image that is asked for within the parameters of the budget. Really great DPs will be able to provide a great picture with minimal gear due to their experience with lighting and with the image acquisition tool.

So, for what it's worth, don't get caught up in the mess of numbers, but start with the delivery requirement and then work from there. Not all "film DPs" are experienced enough with HD to be able to deliver the same high quality that they can do with film. Some can, some can't. Knowing the parameters of the tools being used is key to getting the desired image within the time and budget of the project.

• 2 weeks later...
So we can record on HD Data on Tape as well as on memory cards?

Malik, perhaps you should get a few books on video production and do some reading. There are several different HD formats of various quality, using many different codecs that record to several different types of media. If you back up a bit and do some reading and study then the answers you've been given will make sense.