Those planning on taking the local 600 AC test this year

Hey y'all

All aspiring ACs planning on joining the New York chapter of IATSE Local 600, the International Cinematographer's Guild as a Camera Assistant this year know that a test must be taken. Tired of waiting for the test? Call the union office, get preliminary paperwork, and send it in! Get 5 friends to do it! The more paperwork that is in their file, the sooner they will offer a test!

Us prep techs at Arri CSC are ITCHIN' to leave, and we can't quit to do some fabulous union mag loading until the test comes.

The lot of us have started up a study group that will meet on a weekly basis (probably thursday nights) at the Barnes and Nobles at John Jay College on the corner of 10th ave and 55th st (I know its in the middle of nowhere, but it's right near where we work.

We will be meeting almost weekly, depending on the size of the group, at around 6pm-7pm (we don't know when we get out of work until our supervisor tells us when to go home at the end of the day)

Any and all interested in joining us, meeting some other young pros, and participating in a come-one-come-all-don't-be-intimidated-by-not-knowing-as-much-as-anyone environment!

We all want to better ourselfs. Us prep techs are tired of scanning gear more than using it, i'm sure tons of you are tired of PAing and Interning. Let's get Learnin'

SEND ME A MESSAGE!

-James S. Daly,

slave to the motion picture camera

Last week went well, we have an outdated example of the test (with compensation questions and whatnot that still apply). We went over the questions and explained to each other why the right answer was what it was.

We moved our meeting place to bar nine on 9th between 53rd and 54th.

All interested contact me!

Hi James,

This sounds fantastic. I'm Boston-based, but if I can find a day where I can get out of work I might try to swing by and sit in on a meeting, would love to meet other aspiring filmmakers! Have you settled into a rhythm for what days/time you'll be meeting?

Thanks, great idea

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...
I'm glad I took the test, it's the easiest way to prove to people that you know what you're doing.

Hey James, I've got some old notes if your group is interested. Let me know via PM and I'll send them your way.

I remember looking at all that stuff on the subway over and over and over! Muttering filter factors to myself...staying up late looking at the Quick Guides...those were the days! Best of luck, everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hey James,

If you do end up with a regular time, let me know and I'd love to stop in. I'm probably amoung the lesser experienced of you... only worked with 16mm cameras, but new faces never hurt.

Aurora "Rory" Gordon

Aurora! How's it going? So I take it you found interest in shooting?

• 2 weeks later...