Hiring a gaffer.......

Korhan20

Hey everyone,

I plan on shooting a feature film on a dvx100a with a pretty tight budget. My old high school has a studio and the guy in charge over there is letting me borrow his lighting equipment. And i just met this professional still photographer who also has some of his own equipment. (he is willing to work on this project for a cheap price as long as i make a portfolio video for him :)) My question is.......... would it be wise of me to hire this professional still photographer to be the gaffer on my project? I think that his exp. with still photography will help a lot even though this is his first time working on a film. What do you guys think? Am i doing the right thing?

• Premium Member

The gaffer is directly responsible for getting your wishes as the DP executed efficiently. One of his main jobs is to interact with the rest of the crew, and handle anything he can before it comes as a question to you. If your gaffer has never worked on a set before, it does not seem to me like he would be terribly skilled at it. It takes true experience to be good at that.

The gaffer is also your second pair of eyes. In this respect, anyone with a good eye who understands lighting will be helpful. This guy could be very good at this aspect.

If it is a small show, without a large crew, crazy schedule, or huge setups, I would say go with him if you are comfortable working with him.

Kevin Zanit

When you say you are ?Shooting? a film I assume you mean you?re the Director of Photography or Director/Cameraman on the project. The DP gaffer relationship is a very complex one. A DP who has a strong vision of lighting may need a Gaffer who is more of a technician and crew chief. One who is weak on lighting might actually let the gaffer light the whole thing himself. Usually it falls some where in the middle. At best it is a fun collaboration where each of you is sharing ideas, solving problems, and challenging each other. My only concern with hiring a still photographer to gaff is he is used to working as a DP/Dir with out much oversight. He is probably more familiar with strobes then the power required for film lights. He is not used to lighting large areas where the talent and camera moves. He is not familiar with matching lighting from master to close up. That said, he wants to build a reel as a DP and so do you so it may work to both your benefits.

My only concern with hiring a still photographer to gaff is he is used to working as a DP/Dir with out much oversight. He is probably more familiar with strobes then the power required for film lights. He is not used to lighting large areas where the talent and camera moves. He is not familiar with matching lighting from master to close up.

Those would be my biggest concerns.Often still photographers find it frustrating working on film or video due to the restrictions of where lights can be placed based on actors' blocking,camera moves and matching angles.Still photogs don't have continuity to worry about.

Marty