Spool Lengths

Anthony Schilling

I've been looking into 16mm cams to start off with, but my concern is finding spools that are compatable with an R16 or Bolex.. seems like i have a choice to use 100ft or 200ft mag, but Kodak does not sell 200ft spools, and some films only sell 400ft spools (100D for example). are there 400ft mags available for these cams?

• Premium Member

What they take is 100 foot daylight spools.

Kodak sells every film they make in this option (well at least I have never had a problem getting film that way, including Vision 2).

So you should have no problem.

Kevin Zanit

Hi skratch,

>are there 400ft mags available for these cams?

The late bolexes do accept 400 mags, such as the one body that I am selling :-)

The beaulieus have additional mags but correct me if I am wrong there are 200ft only.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Emmanuel, London

Camera Assistant - Focus Puller

Munich - London +491608036889 - www.suys.de - +447910034443

• Premium Member

I don?t know what to tell you. I have personally ordered film in 100 foot lengths of just about any stock you can think of (in fact I have shot virtually every negative and reversal stock Kodak makes on 100' daylight spools).

Sounds to me like you are asking for the wrong thing, I don?t know. Which offices are you speaking with?

Kevin Zanit

100' spools of 7285 are not listed in "Standard Products Available"

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/16mm/pro...4.5.6.4.4&lc=en

Despite:

"No matter what you're shooting, Kodak offers a complete range of 16 mm films in Standard and Super 16 formats to meet your exacting requirements"

They should remedy this, if true.

(meanwhile Panasonic will sell another 50,000 DVX100A's next year)

-Sam

It's surprising that 7285 isn't more readily packaged to suit cameras in the independant budget class.. especially since it's a reversal. I see all the negs are available in 100ft, thats great but even with experience shooting negs in S-8.. I would not dare too experiment with a new format and equipment under the cost of telecine. Anyone here shoot 100D Ekta? or projecting it as well?

• Premium Member

Here's the October 2004 Kodak motion picture catalog:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

For now, 7285 is only available in 400 foot rolls.

Contact your Kodak sales representative to make your case for other lengths, including 100-foot spools.

Would it be possible to take a 400ft spool, cut and load it onto 100ft daylight spools? there is a unused darkroom at my work i can use.

You could, but they will not be daylight safe because it will be hard for you to stagger roll the film and of course you run the risk of scratching and static discharge. Where do you live? If you're near a lab, have them do it.