4 AM

Nate Yolles

• Premium Member

Just a quick update on my previous post. I found out today that my first check bounced. Lovely. And just in time for rent to be due! Now I've gotta drive across town to pick up another one.....hopefully this one clears.

Luckily, I'm in Hollywood, so I'm overpayed and underworked! <_<

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Hi,

I guess this would be a good time to bring up a scheduling issue for a short film I'm preparing.

I have a choice. Ten easy days, or eight rather hard-work days.

What do we think?

Phil

Hmm, how about a compromise? 9 days? I understand that there may be a reason that it has to be 8 or 10.....but just a thought.

In the 10 v. 8 day question, would you be paying people the same aggregate amount? Say $100/day for 10 v. $125/day for 8? ($1000 either way.) If so and you're up front with people then I don't see a problem. I have producers making such deals all the time. As long as people are in on the discussion I bet most would agree with you.

La Mancha is the most humorous and worst thing I've ever seen at the same time. I've never laughed so loud in a theatre but for when the flash floods washed away all the equipment.

In one regard I've been kind of lucky, I've never not been paid when I was supposed to. I've of course donated many days to non-paying shows as favors or just to learn from "bigger" DPs and gaffers. I had one production company bounce a check and they were all in from New York, I was afraid they'd skip town, but I knew where the lead actor lived and I ended up getting a personal check from him. Odd, but then again, I didn't care who wrote the check. I've had one sleazy line producer report my check stolen. Let me tell you, your bank does not appreciate it when you deposit stolen checks. The check of course did not go through. My bank froze my funds and closed all of my accounts. I couldn't even touch my own money. I spent a week on the phone with Wells Fargo before I was even able to asertain what the problem was. That in turn caused my cell phone check to bounce and car payment, my phone was turned off. It caused me great stress, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Premium Member
Daniel, have you seen "Lost in La Mancha?"

"Lost in La Mancha" is a perfect example of how people can be treated. Last year I had brunch at Nicola Pecorini's house with a close friend of mine and his. It was about the time "Lost..." had been released and I spoke to him about it and found out that he, and all the other crew that wasn't from Spain were never paid for the job. He worked for months on "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" and wasn't paid for his work. Nothing he did caused this film to fall apart, yet he had to pay for it. These things are not as rare as many people on this forum think. And Nicola was still gracious enough to give the documentary filmakers his full permission to use his image in their film. The producers, director and actors were all paid....why not the DP and the rest of the crew? Are they Hollywood whiners?

• Premium Member

Hi,

First off while I find it pretty hard to feel THAT sorry for someone like Pecorini (he can afford it!) I can only respond that nonpayment is certainly rife in the bowels of the industry where I am. I did a job in New York in April for which I am still owed the equivalent of over US$1000, standard disclaimers about this being a lot for me apply even if it isn't a lot for you. Total payments I'm probably going to have to write off this financial year are currently about twice that. Gah. Gimme union.

Phil

Poor Peccorini-

Following Don Quixote, he got booted off Gilliam's Grimm Brothers in Prague to be replaced (BIZARRELY) by Newton Tom Sigel on Miramax's orders!! Bad luck all round-

Being the world's foremost one-eyed cameraman, you'd have thought he'd be pampered as representing a minority interest group- If anything, at least everyone's judged the same (in this instant)...

• Premium Member
Hi,

First off while I find it pretty hard to feel THAT sorry for someone like Pecorini (he can afford it!) I can only respond that nonpayment is certainly rife in the bowels of the industry where I am. I did a job in New York in April for which I am still owed the equivalent of over US$1000, standard disclaimers about this being a lot for me apply even if it isn't a lot for you. Total payments I'm probably going to have to write off this financial year are currently about twice that. Gah. Gimme union.

Phil

Well, we're in the same boat as far as that goes.....

I'd be plenty pissed if someone stiffed me for $1000.00. I've been stiffed for $600 before and been irate. Actually, if I were to get stiffed for $100 I'd be plenty pissed. We made a deal! Pay me!

As far as Pecorini is concerned, well yes, he's not going to have to sell his house or anything, but he still needs to earn a living. It's not like he's wealthy beyond working....

• Premium Member
Poor Peccorini-

Following Don Quixote, he got booted off Gilliam's Grimm Brothers in Prague to be replaced (BIZARRELY) by Newton Tom Sigel on Miramax's orders!! Bad luck all round-

Being the world's foremost one-eyed cameraman, you'd have thought he'd be pampered as representing a minority interest group- If anything, at least everyone's judged the same (in this instant)...

Yes, I heard about that, although I haven't gotten the story first hand, so I couldn't comment as to what exactly happened.

Speaking of the one-eyed thing....you should see his reel, it's quite funny.

• Premium Member

The rumor I heard was that the producer basically didn't know what Gilliam's style was (super wide-angle, in your face) until they started shooting the movie -- turns out he had never seen a Gilliam movie! And he hated the look. So he told Pecorini if he got Gilliam to change his style, they would push him for an Oscar for Cinematography, but when Pecorini said "I work for Gilliam, not you", they fired Pecorini and shut down production for a week. That's just a rumor, mind you.

Edited by David Mullen

• Premium Member
The rumor I heard was that the producer basically didn't know what Gilliam's style was (super wide-angle, in your face) until they started shooting the movie -- turns out he had never seen a Gilliam movie!  And he hated the look.  So he told Pecorini if he got Gilliam to change his style, they would push him for an Oscar for Cinematography, but when Pecorini said "I work for Gilliam, not you", they fired Pecorini and shut down production for a week.  That's just a rumor, mind you.

That's an interesting rumor. His reputation is certainly of someone who says what he's thinking, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's true. If I get a first hand account any time soon I'll post it.

• Premium Member
14 hours isn't too bad, I wish I could do more of those  :lol:

I think my longest day was 26 hours, or something, "working" on a commercial a couple of months ago.. I quoted working, because obviously there was no pay involved  :blink:

Most people that have worked in this business for any more that a couple years have done those ridiculous 20+ hour days. It's brutal, but most of the time you don't have to work the next day. 14 hours is of course not as bad, but try doing 14 hour days 6 days a week for 4 weeks or more and see how you feel. The main problem is that everyone needs time to do things like pay bills and do laundry. Once you get done doing those daily things that have to be done there's not really enough time to sleep. If I had a butler and a maid and someone to take care of my finances, then all those long days and weeks would be a breeze. But as it is now, I'm a bit tired.

• Premium Member
Hi,

At the moment I'm doing an 8-hour nine to five with an hour's commuting either end, then cutting in the evenings. Do I get to complain yet? :)

Phil

Actually, if you read the official complainers rules, it says that anyone working a 9-5 has no right to complain regardless of the commute time. Sorry, I don't make the rules, I just enforce 'em.

• Premium Member

Just another sobering reminder - I'm in prep for an upcoming show, so I passed when I was called to come help a colleague who needed a hand in his electric department. Great decision on my part I think. Two friends who did take his call were both in car accidents (two different people in two different vehicles on two different days) because they were worked long hours doing extensive over night set ups and then sent home during rush hour. Nobody was injured (beyond banged up bumpers and higher insurance rates) but working people in a massive physical sense for 15+ hours over and over and NOT expecting an accient of some kind is just plain stupid.

And we won't even go into the two condors the production had but no certified operators.......

Please, please, PLEASE be careful everyone; I freely admit I'm a young individual, but even I've already had too many friends and co-workers hurt.

14 hour days 6 days a week for 4 weeks or more and see how you feel.  The main problem is that everyone needs time to do things like pay bills and do laundry.  Once you get done doing those daily things that have to be done there's not really enough time to sleep.  If I had a butler and a maid and someone to take care of my finances, then all those long days and weeks would be a breeze.  But as it is now, I'm a bit tired.

That's true, I remember when I was doing 14-18 hours about two weeks and didn't have time nor energy to shave too much. I looked like a caveman.

"Luckily" I really don't need to have too much time for my finances ;)

• Premium Member
Please, please, PLEASE be careful everyone; I freely admit I'm a young individual, but even I've already had too many friends and co-workers hurt.

I second that advice. We did some long days on the feature that I just finished working on, and two nights ago, after a 16 hour day, one of the producers was so tired that she crashed into the picture car leaving location. Luckily, she wasn't hurt. I too have had friends injured badly because safety wasn't taken seriously enough. That type of thing will continue to happen, just try not to let it be you.

"...so tired that she crashed into the picture car leaving location.  Luckily, she wasn't hurt...."

Whew, that was close.

I was all set for you to say "luckily, the picture car wasn't hurt"

har har!

Long hours suck, but the people I feel for is the entire human race, up to about 80 or so years ago when the western world came up with the idea that maybe it wasn't a good idea to have everyone working 12+ hour days, 6-7 days a week, with no OT pay, no workers rights of any kind, no safety requirements, and no child labor laws.

Imagine being 7 years old working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week in a coal mine, knowing that you're probably going to grow up and have to do this forever!

I've done some sh*&*y jobs in my life, including working 12 hours days as a hod carrier when I was younger, and there are lots of people that still have to do this kind of work, you know, and the pay doesn't make that worth it either!

If you don't know what a Hod Carrier is, Google it.

Much more enjoyable to do ANYTHING on a film set than pack hod, let me tell you.

At least you don't have to blow cement out of your nostrils when you go home at night.

You could probably build a nice little brick planter with all the mortar still stuck inside my lungs!

Matt Pacini

Guest dpforum1968

Holy smokes these stories are depressing, I knew I shouldn't be too upset about not making a feature :-)

Maybe I should just stick to stock footage? You only work once or twice a month for a few hours and that's it. Even on location most of the time is spent diving, hanging out by the pool, etc.

Once the shots are done it's play time.

Then when I do get I home I own every thing I just shot and people will be paying me royalties to use the stuff indefinately.

Once the shoots are done the rest of my time is spent developing yet another crazy short film for the fest circuit. Even when I am shooting a short we never go over 7-8 hours a day.

I've heard of these long production days on features and I question if it's worth aspiring to work in features? The work is hit and miss, then to add insult to injury some one else owns every thing you shot!!

This kind of work can be very dangerous. Two years ago a crew member in Toronto passed out at the wheel of his car on the way home after a 14+ hour day. He was killed.

Movies are just not worth that kind of risk.

RDCB