16mm telecine problems

this is a test roll shot on a kraznogorsk 3 shot on some fuji 500t

i did not recieve a lab report and had the shots transfered to DV. I cant afford to get a print done

so i wanted to ask anybodys opinion on the blue tinting, noise and also what look like scuff marks on one of the images. It was a 1 light print but still, the image seems to have red,green and blue noise. i know alot of the night stuff is under exposed but is there any other suggestions to why the quality is so bad?

screen caps attatched

post-33961-1213193248.jpg

That looks nothing like any film artifact from damage or botched processing that I've ever seen, and believe me I've seen a lot.

At the same time though, the image you have here is pretty low-res. Could you perhaps post a higher-res. sample, or maybe email me something to take a look?

I also notice that there appear to be visible scan lines in your sample frame, so there are definitely scanner problems here whether or not those blotches are one of them.

Do you have the roll of processed negative film in your possession? If you do, it may be a good idea to carefully unroll it and "eyeball" it. If not, call the lab and ask them to check for damage. . .

the thing is, this is the highest res. Its a screen cap from the standard def dv tape and it looks horrible i know. i have some other examples however, I shall email you some if i can get your e-mail address, im not sure how to attatch anymore images, it keeps rejecting them.

Im going to visit the lab tommorrow to try and get some some answers and inspect the negative. thanks for your help

• Site Sponsor

Usually with a emulsion mark problem there will be blue splotches, not red and green which indicates a telecine problem to me. Was it transfered on a Rank? or a CCD machine? do these splotches stay consistent or do they move?

-Rob-

I visited the lab and the bad quality is due to the film stock. The stock hadnt been strored in a cold enough environment and it was around 28 years old!!! I know must find a more reliable source for when buying stock. Does anyone know the best place to purchase stock in the uk? i hear that kodak or fuji do student discount, is this true?

p.s, the duckling shot's white bits are from base remaining on the negative, another consequence of using bad stock

thanx for eveyones input

• Site Sponsor
I visited the lab and the bad quality is due to the film stock. The stock hadnt been strored in a cold enough environment and it was around 28 years old!!!

Not bad for 28 year old 500t ......

-Rob-

...I know must find a more reliable source for when buying stock. Does anyone know the best place to purchase stock in the uk? i hear that kodak or fuji do student discount, is this true?...

Beyond the fact they do offer student discount, I can't help much more with details as I don't qualify :(

Fuji have twice failed to respond to emails requesting normal prices :angry:

But I've found Kodak UK very helpful. The price buying direct is the same as the cheapest retailer price I've found, but Kodak will ship it free of charge, thus saving a bit on postage & packing :rolleyes:. (They're also happy to supply just one or two 100ft spools)

Personally I've had good fortune keeping my eyes peeled on Ebay and have managed to pick up 400ft cans of film for not much more than the cost of a brand new 100ft spool. If you do try ebay then see how old the film is and if it's been kept refrigerated. Most of my purchases have varied from less than a month old to about 12 months, and all have processed fine.

I did take a chance with some old stock as it was going so cheap, but a clip test showed a bit of aging. I ran a short test, overexposing 2/3 stop and kept fingers crossed. The results can be seen on YouTube, I think it's turned out OK, especially for 15 year old film that's just been kept in a basement! But as you've found out, you're not always lucky! :(

• Premium Member

Solution:

- Fly to Los Angeles

- Get heaps of 35mm film stock thrown at you for the price of a bar of chocolate

- Shoot, process and transfer said stock for equally gobsmacking rates

- Fly home in the knowledge that you've saved more than the value of the plane flight at every stage.

I have done this and it works quite well.

P