First P.A. job need advice

So im a student at SDSU majoring in television, film, and New Media and have about a year left of school. As soon as I found this web site about a month ago it has provided me with a wealth of information and pointed me in the right direction. Currently I am reading camera assistant's manual by D. Elkins, Motion picture and Video lighting by Brown, and Cinematography 3rd.ed by K. Malkiewicz and D. Mullen. So I found a posting on craiglist for a PA job for a television pilot (seems to be professional) and they called me earlier so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should look out for, will I be needing anything, etc.? Also the person said it was from 7am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday, I wont be getting paid but I dont care I just want the experience.

thanks

Jesse

Edited by Jesse Aragon

So im a student at SDSU majoring in television, film, and New Media and have about a year left of school. As soon as I found this web site about a month ago it has provided me with a wealth of information and pointed me in the right direction. Currently I am reading camera assistant's manual by D. Elkins, Motion picture and Video lighting by Brown, and Cinematography 3rd.ed by K. Malkiewicz and D. Mullen. So I found a posting on craiglist for a PA job for a television pilot (seems to be professional) and they called me earlier so I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should look out for, will I be needing anything, etc.? Also the person said it was from 7am to 7pm Saturday and Sunday, I wont be getting paid but I dont care I just want the experience.

thanks

Jesse

PA for what? Camera, grip, craft services, etc.

Check the weather to see what sort of clothes you might need - consider it something of a camping trip. Bring some work gloves. Bring an open mind, and a closed mouth. Seriously, there will be all sorts of moments when you could offer an opinion. Don't. Just chill out 'till you get your bearings.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually bring at least:

gloves

flashlight-comes in handy every time

tape measure

mini swiss army knife (with scissors)- also realllly useful

small note pad- good for taking food orders & peoples contact info at the end of the day

purell hand sanitizer- you never know

sharpie

water- a ton

even if you don't use all that stuff, people will impressed if you look prepared

this website with free handbook might be helpful:

http://www.noendpress.com/caleb/edtech/index.php

it's just good stuff to know in general

be prepared to do something tedious for a long time, try not to be too discouraged by it

good luck!