right film?

Curtis Bouvier

just double checking here before I open this package of film.. is this the right kind? for my Krasnogorsk 3?

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5584/dsc0007aoy8.jpg

I know its standard 16mm, 100 feet, but I have no idea if this is a can of film or daylight load... it says right at the top, "load in total darkness".... so I don't want to open it and find out its a can and ruin it all.

(I thought daylight loads can be loaded in daylight?)

if it IS a can I can return it to my film group, they will keep this can and get me a daylight load.

thanks!

No problem with that film. Unless your K3 is converted to Super 16 you will be OK daylight loading in a dim room. Best of luck with it

how do you know if its a can or a daylight load, where is it indicated on the label? !!

just for any future confusions =]

how do you know if its a can or a daylight load, where is it indicated on the label? !!

oh poop 1 more thing haha :lol:

i'm keeping this in the fridge at 0.5 Calcius, i know people put there stuff in the freezer alot, is this ok in the Fridge?

• Premium Member

It's a 100' roll, it will be inside a can on a ready to load spool, and no problem with the fridge

It's a 100' roll, it will be inside a can on a ready to load spool...

...whilst 400ft loads of film come on a core, inside a light proof black bag, inside a metal can.

The bag usually seems to have the end folded over, but I'm not prepared to risk fogging precious film by opening the can outside the darkroom, just in case! ;)

I load my K3 in subdued light, but I've always unloaded it in a changing bag/darkroom to ensure I don't loose the last 8 or 9 seconds of footage to fogging.

• Premium Member

All 100' rolls from Kodak are "daylight loads" which simply means it's on a black reel with solid sides so edges don't fog. Anytime you order film from kodak as a 100' 16mm roll you're ok.

As far as fridge goes, don't worry too much. If you're going to store it for several months put it in the fridge, it's ok as long as you don't leave it in your car for extended periods.

Main thing is load that puppy and go shoot something!

• Premium Member

where it says 'SP455".

Kodaks film catlog has a list of the codes. 455 is a "daylight spool" with single perfs winding B (Camera wind) emulsion in.

Kadak started recomending Total Darkness around the time folks started using "super 16" as the slight fogging when loading in daylight which did not mater when it fell on the unused soundtrack (or second set of perf) area is a big problem if it messes uo the far right edge of a super 16 frame.