quick question

Allen Achterberg

• Premium Member

You need to light to a very high contrast ratio, something like five stops underexposed on your shadow side.

Vision2 500T is probably not the best stock for a high-con look -- it has a very wide latitude. I'd suggest something like the older Vision 200T '74 pushed one stop instead. But even then, you aren't talking about a big increase in contrast.

If this is for print, use a skip-bleach process on the prints.

If this is for video-only, increase the contrast and crush the blacks in the transfer color-correction.

Cross-processed 5285 is very high-con.

• Premium Member
okay, say I will be shooting on Kodaks Vision2 500T, and I want like NO shadow detail. do I over rate the asa and throw more light on my subjects? how will this affect contrast grain etc...please share experiences

If your going to transfer from neg to tape try rating your meter at 320 ASA and pulling 2/3 of a stop in post to crush your blacks or rating it at 400 and pulling a 1/3 a stop if you want to be on the safe side. At around 4 1/2 stops on the 5218/7218 your going to start to go black. Like David says it has a very wide latitude so using negative fill will help and by having areas of brightness within the image will also create the illusion of deeper blacks.

Cheers G.

:)

• Premium Member

Although underexposure will reduce shadow detail, the black areas of the scene may not be as rich (dark in the print or transfer). As much as possible, try to expose the lighter areas normally, but keep light out of the shadows.

Another way of saying this David's suggestion of a "high contrast ratio", i.e., little fill light.