replicating Kaminski

Hi, I want to buy a diffusion filter to replicate some of the looks from Kaminski, from reading AC, I know he's used Schneider filters, though those are little too expensive, I was thinking about getting some sort of tiffen filter. They make a lot of diffusion filter, but I wasn't sure which one would give that great Kaminski look.

Also, what other things would you say easily identifies a film as being shot by Kaminski, other than his name being in the credits. Thank you!

• Premium Member

Filters aren't everything.

To really get the Kaminski look you'll have to dissect his lighting style per movie and nail that first!

Also each filter gives a different look, a Schneider will differ from a Tiffen. I prefer Tiffens for that reason, but again it's a personal preference.

Why try to replicate someone else's style? Why not find your own.

• Premium Member

Ahh, see that's much better wording lol.

I too an a big fan and admirer of his work, but there is a difference between films, ya know? Diving Bell and the Butterfly looks substantially different from say, A.I. and Minority Report differs from Munich.

I would again, start by dissecting his lighting (where the light is coming from) first, as that'll be the best thing to replicate/assimilate, then moving into certain camera motions and the like, framings, lenses, etc, and then filtration to taste.

Give a try to a Tiffen Pro Mist, or a Black Pro Mist, but I would say nothing really replicates a Schnider.