Production Insurance

I'm getting together a Short Film ($10k-$15k) and a Feature Film ($150k-$200k)... And I'm going to need Insurance to cover the production and rent equipment. What companies should I look at to possible get insurance from?

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

Guest Glen Alexander
I'm getting together a Short Film ($10k-$15k) and a Feature Film ($150k-$200k)... And I'm going to need Insurance to cover the production and rent equipment. What companies should I look at to possible get insurance from?

check out ny411.com or similar

Edited by Glen Alexander

Filmemporium.com offers production insurance for filmmaking. It's really the only place I know of off hand that does it (online).

Just make sure there's no live gangster rap performances. . ..

I just read it over and we do have Pyrotechnics... for all of 2 seconds but.

Be VERY careful of companies willing to sell you the use of their insurance policy. Get insurance form a licensed broker! If you do a co-production, make sure it's legit, that mean the co-production company has to have some sort of stake in the production and a contract written up. A lot of people are illegal selling their own policy to you. If you do that, and a claim is made, the actual insurance company (like fireman's fund, etc) will NOT pay up!

If in doubt, call up the backing insurance company itself and make certain that any other company you buy from is allowed to broker addition policies.

Edited by Michele Peterson

Be VERY careful of companies willing to sell you the use of their insurance policy. Get insurance form a licensed broker! If you do a co-production, make sure it's legit, that mean the co-production company has to have some sort of stake in the production and a contract written up. A lot of people are illegal selling their own policy to you. If you do that, and a claim is made, the actual insurance company (like fireman's fund, etc) will NOT pay up!

If in doubt, call up the backing insurance company itself and make certain that any other company you buy from is allowed to broker addition policies.

Would you happen to know of a list then, that lists licensed companies?

And what about http://www.firsttower.com/event.htm would they be licensed?

No, I can't possibly be keeping track of and listing all the insurance companies and brokers. You're going to have to do your own research on any company you consider.

That company calls themselves a brokerage (on their site). I can't tell you if they're licensed, I have no way of knowing that. The first step in finding out is to ask them.

No, I can't possibly be keeping track of and listing all the insurance companies and brokers. You're going to have to do your own research on any company you consider. The first step in finding out is to ask them.

That company calls themselves a brokerage (on their site). They also list a license number, so it's more than likely, but that's only what I can see on their site. I'm not an expert or offering a guarantee on that company.

Edited by Michele Peterson