Multimeter Suggestions

I'm just getting into professional G&E, looking to upgrade my hobby multimeter. Any recommendations as far as manufacturers, digital vs. analog, all-in-one vs. specialized units?

I think what I'm looking for is something with a basic VOM, audible continuity tester, plus an amp clamp large enough for 4/0, and a line frequency meter.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Premium Member

I'll second (third?) the Fluke recommendations. I own three different Flukes and have never had a bit of trouble with them. One nice thing about the Flukes is the leads that come with them are safety rated, there are a lot of cheap meters that come with very untrustworthy leads. Fluke has a large selection of accessories including many different lead styles. I particularly like the Industrial set with the clip-on grabbers - they come in handy where you need to measure deep inside a piece of gear, you can power it down, clip the leads on, then get safe and power the equipment up for test.

used a bunch of DMMs in my time, some fluke, some not, I would recomend fluke. Its worth the little bit of extra cash. Just make sure whatever you get, make sure it powers down after a set time of inactivity. I can't tell you how many batteries I have gone through on meters accidently left on. Get a backup set of batteries and keep them in your gig bag. Don't worry about meters with scopes or memory or any of that non-sense, your not RF troubleshooting a highspeed circut, but do get a digital one. I never really liked the analog ones. To many scales crammed onto one gauge. Seems like there are all kinds of range errors that when taking a rushed reading could lead to big headaches.

HIOKI USA makes a well made clamp-on meter. I've had mine since the company stared disributing their meters in the USA. More than ten years old, dropped more than once, still working fine. The only thing that has failed is the case. Amprobe is another brand favored by Electricians, HVAC guys, etc.

• Premium Member

If you are working with nonlinear loads like electronic dimmers and ballasts, you should get a TRUE RMS voltmeter and amperage meter, otherwise your lreadings could read a bit low. I have a relatively inexpensive multimeter and it usually works fine, but can sometimes read a bit low when using electronic ballasts.

I think it's time for me to upgrade as well. I have heard great things about the Flukes, but cannot speak from personal experience. The only thing that has kept me from getting one is the price tag.

• 1 month later...