I will be shooting a wildlife documentary tomorrow focusing upon redkites (bird of pray), and in the past I have had trouble getting clear detail from birds in flight when there is a bright sky. I tried the ND on board and my own ND filter, and exposure seemed ideal at the time. I will be using a mini DV canon XL1s, with the standard 16x zoom xl 5.5 - 80mm IS II. Any suggestions?

Thank you

• Premium Member

Expose for the bird. Sky may go white, perils of miniDV cameras. You can always "blue" the sky later on in post (3 way color corrector).

A pola filter might also help; though if you're moving the camera around, you'll be changing the amount of polarization dependent on the filter's angle to the sun.

I will be shooting a wildlife documentary tomorrow focusing upon redkites (bird of pray), and in the past I have had trouble getting clear detail from birds in flight when there is a bright sky. I tried the ND on board and my own ND filter, and exposure seemed ideal at the time. I will be using a mini DV canon XL1s, with the standard 16x zoom xl 5.5 - 80mm IS II. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Shoot very early or very late in the day (if you can.)