HVX menus in chinese

Brandon Ruiz

I have been shopping around for an HVX200A and have found a few websites selling new HVX200A's for ridiculously low prices. I figured there had to be a catch so I gave them a call, and after playing the 20 questions game, the guy admitted the menus were in Chinese. I've never used the HVX, so I'm guessing the menu's aren't multilingual? If not, is there any way to mod it into an english version?

I have been shopping around for an HVX200A and have found a few websites selling new HVX200A's for ridiculously low prices. I figured there had to be a catch so I gave them a call, and after playing the 20 questions game, the guy admitted the menus were in Chinese. I've never used the HVX, so I'm guessing the menu's aren't multilingual? If not, is there any way to mod it into an english version?

I would think they'd be in Japanese not Chinese.

What that would be would a grey market camera, they purchase cameras from Japan and sell them in the US (as a non authorized reseller), since Japan uses the NTSC format. If they're are in Chinese the camera is SECAM/PAL - but that would just equate to the same thing as the Japan/US grey market, except being China/UK or where ever.

Here's some info on grey market cameras - http://www.spec-comm.com/hvx200faq.php

If you are in the US, the only Authorized retailers that I know of are, Spec-Comm, B&H Photo Video, and AbelCine. I'm sure there are others but I don't know of them.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

Brandon,

I am in Hong Kong and my HVX200 has multilingual interface, I am pretty sure that Chinese and Japanese versions also have multi languages. Though I would be very very careful about buying from China, there are many frauds selling these cameras for cheap.

I paid around US$ 4,800 and figure that it won't be much cheaper in China.

Thanks for the help guys.

With newer cameras like the HPX170 and RED's Scarlet on the horizon, I figured the value of HVX's would be dropping shortly, so why not take a risk and get one at a discounted price.

The price is so tempting. http://shopdigitaldirect.com/catalog/produ...ts_id=7321&

It's not a discount, it's a scam.

They're going to end up talking you into purchasing over 2000 dollars (cause nothing would be included with that camera) worth of accessories (cables, LCD monitor, Viewfinder, P2 Cards, ect. - they remove all of that from the camera and force you to buy it on top of the "camera price".) and you won't get a US warranty. So you're going to end up paying 4400 dollars for a camera you can't get serviced (by an authorized panasonic dealer/tech).

And if you don't take all the accessories you shouldn't expect delivery for over a month... they avoid phone calls, emails, ect. and then if you go to sue them you'll found out, they're not even a company (never were or they closed shop.). Their website says they're based out of New York, I'd imagine that means Brooklyn and almost all grey market stuff in the US comes out of Brooklyn.

Edited by Andrew McCarrick

Do yourself a favor and check out eBay for the lowest prices on US HVX200's.

I bought 2 US models in the past 9 months each for under $4K from the same seller on eBay.

You don't have to buy an HVX200 from an "authorized dealer" to get the exact same camera you'd get from a non-authorized dealer selling a US model.