35mm Adaptor Questions

danny bartle

Hello all,

I've been researching the web over the past few days in ways to make a 35mm lens adaptor but I have a few questions to ask which hopefully someone will be able to answer...

1. Since the lens inverts everything onto the ground glass, do you just just invert everything back to normal in post? Can you invert the LCD or viewfinder on your video camera for ease of shooting?

2. I've seen some adaptors with rotating shutters, what is the purpose of this shutter & is it necessary?

3. Is the exposure now controlled via the aperture ring on the 35mm lens? If so, would that mean you couldn't use EOS 35mm lenses on the adaptor since it has electronic aperture?

Thanks to all who reply...

For the past week I've done nothing but eat, sleep, and search the internet for the answer to your questions, as it was just a week ago in which I started to learn about the possibility of 35mm adapters. So far I've found some sites, nothing with any real good info, but I've just ordered all the necessary parts to start experimenting with building my own. Why don't you shoot me an email with what kind of camera you are using and I will work on compiling all the info you need from design, to the websites of where to order the parts from. You can reach me at chrisbaker320@yahoo.com.

Hope I can help,

Chris Baker

Hello all,

I've been researching the web over the past few days in ways to make a 35mm lens adaptor but I have a few questions to ask which hopefully someone will be able to answer...

1. Since the lens inverts everything onto the ground glass, do you just just invert everything back to normal in post? Can you invert the LCD or viewfinder on your video camera for ease of shooting?

Flip it in post.  I assume you can turn your camera over when you shoot if you wish.

2. I've seen some adaptors with rotating shutters, what is the purpose of this shutter & is it necessary?

It is a rotating groundglass surface, not a shutter.  These devices are relay lens systems, which means that the image from the 35mm format lens is projected onto a groundglass surface and then the video camera's lens rephotographs this surface image.  If the groundglass is static then there is the danger of seeing the physical surface of the glass.  By constantly moving the groundglass on a flat plane the surface can be smoothed out to a point where it becomes largely invisible.

3. Is the exposure now controlled via the aperture ring on the 35mm lens? If so, would that mean you couldn't use EOS 35mm lenses on the adaptor since it has electronic aperture?

Yes, unless you used the shutter and ND controls on the camera.  But these are very rough controls compared to the aperture ring.

Thanks to all who reply...

• Premium Member

Hi,

Gah! Horrendous!

Sure, that's basically how it works, but it needs to be a reasonably high-precision assembly. I wouldn't consider anything but a true optical flat with one face ground. Oddly enough you can do this easily enough with two optical flats and some grinding powder. Recover the spindle motor and bearing assembly from a dead hard drive - use this because it's 12V, quiet, and a hard drive needs its platters to rotate with very low instability, which is also what we need to keep the focal plane of the groundglass constant. Find a lens mount for your camera and put a suitable macro lens in it. Bolt a PL mount on the front at the appropriate distance from the groundglass. Box it to prevent light getting in and spend quite a long time making tiny micro-adjustments to get all the flange focal and macro distances right, and you're there.

Then all you need is a six figure PL mount lens set! Marvellous.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

another good site with explainations (and not so good mspaint explainations) on 35mm adapters http://www.dvdof.com

in my opinion

i wouldnt use the condenser in front of the ground glass.

why? makes the 35mm image smaller, thus increasing the size of the grain visible. id rather have it the full 35mm size and have smaller grain.