In a Moment of Drunkedness, I bid on this:

Ira Ratner

There are no lenses in its turret....I have a max bid in on it for $15 (with an $18 shipping cost)...so was I a total idiot for bidding on it? I just couldn't resist:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...rksid=p3907.m29

I have a bunch of stuff coming due via eBay this weekend, so I can not well afford this "little" expense and I regret the bid. But if you tell me that I can find SOME lenses to work with this turret, that will make me feel better.

Nothing worse than waking up hungover with a ton of 'Order Confirmations' in your email in-box :blink:

HAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what the heck is a C-mount lens? And I assume I'll need three, correct?

So what the heck is a C-mount lens? And I assume I'll need three, correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount

You'll need three if you want to get different focal-length lenses. Originally, these cameras were designed and built before the days of zoom lenses, hence the spinning turret design. But you can still use three nice primes and switch them effortlessly.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount

You'll need three if you want to get different focal-length lenses. Originally, these cameras were designed and built before the days of zoom lenses, hence the spinning turret design. But you can still use three nice primes and switch them effortlessly.

Thanks, Saul. After doing my eBay search just now, I can see that there are some choices available for this out there. It's a screw mount, with a small diameter.

But if I win the camera, I think I'm going to really want to find the old lenses, right? If at all possible?

I guess the best plan of actionif I win the auction is to take a good look at it and try to figure out how the thing works, how it feeds, etc., and clean her up.

And THEN worry about putting lenses on her.

Edited by Ira Ratner

• Premium Member

All the old Bolexes and Filmos were C mount, as were many other makes. There are loads of cheap old lenses out there. Finding appropriate ones should be no problem. The only thing to beware of is the CS mount, which was used in early video cameras. It's the same screw thread as C, but the flange focal distance is shorter.

-- J.S.

I thought about buying one but I wasn't sure if they would take single perf film. Do they?

Thank you James for bringing up this VERY important point, since I might be winning a paperweight then.

Like I said, I'm a total newbie to this.

I thought about buying one but I wasn't sure if they would take single perf film. Do they?

It's been a long time since I touched mine, it's likely double perf only.

A funny thing about the C-mt on the Victor, it's very deep & the threads are recessed. Thus the threads on many newer C-mts won't reach the threads in the Victor C-mt. conversely some very old C-mt lenses have threads too long to fit a newer camera.

post-7981-1215891071.jpg

Notice the pendulum level in the viewfinder. Cool.

Thank you James for bringing up this VERY important point, since I might be winning a paperweight then.

Like I said, I'm a total newbie to this.

Well, maybe not a paper weight......although if you do NEED a paper weight, using a vintage motion picture camera as one DOES show a lotta style. :D I THINK 2 perf 16mm film is available for older MOS cameras but it'll probably be limited in what stocks you can get and all but impossible to get a deal on and you could be limited in what the camera can do. As for sound, I'm not sure if it would matter if you had the footage transfered to DVD. I'll bet you could wrap a blanket around the camera, set it back a ways and record sound then have everything synced digitally, though because this is a spring wound, MOS camera, I don't know how well the sync would.........well SYNC up over the course of a few lines. I suspect it would drift quite a bit. Anyone ever try this?

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Not worried about sound, and I just discovered that Spectra in California sells brand-new, fresh 2-perf high contrast b&w reversal film under their own label, and that's all I wanted for this anyway. I'll also try it on my K-3 eventually, which takes both 1 and 2.

Not worried about sound, and I just discovered that Spectra in California sells brand-new, fresh 2-perf high contrast b&w reversal film under their own label, and that's all I wanted for this anyway. I'll also try it on my K-3 eventually, which takes both 1 and 2.

Both 1 and 2?! Man, you have got to LOVE those Commiecams!! :D

Hey Adrian,

I just wanted to add that this is one of the funniest (and honest) titles I've seen in a long while. I wish I could relate more ;)

as was:

"Nothing worse than waking up hungover with a ton of 'Order Confirmations' in your email in-box"

Good times.

Tom

Well, someone got drunker than me today--because that someone (Jagermeister, probably) just moved ahead of my max bid (of $15) by 50 cents, with the auction ending tomorrow.

And he can have it:

His extra 50 cents saved me around 40 bucks on the camera and shipping, plus money for the lenses that it doesn't have, plus a whole lot of other headaches.

Edited by Ira Ratner