America, stupidity and the world

Saul Rodgar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and returns to the States the right to make their own decisions... 'multiple' sociological tests are better than one 'large, all inclusive' central government test.

What you just described is called "Canada." 10 provinces all acting as their own countries, for their own self interest. It hasn't worked here, and it won't work in the USA either.

R,

What you just described is called "Canada." 10 provinces all acting as their own countries, for their own self interest. It hasn't worked here, and it won't work in the USA either.='Richard Boddington'

Oh man! And here I thought the Founding Fathers pretty much thought this thing through. Guess we have just been faking it all along these past two hundred plus years. Oh well.. thanks for the heads up. Maybe that part about us being a 'Republic'... not separate 'States acting as Countries all for their own self interest' will help.

Sorry to hear your Country is not working...

Edited by David Rakoczy

Nope, 90% NPR and PBS. CNN if they have breaking news.

That's alright Hal.. I won't hold it against you. I also hope Mr. Boddington is taking all this in good spirit. Though I prefer to concentrate on our common 'love'.. film making.. I can't resist at times getting in the tussle... esp. since there are so few conservatives in this forum.

My Kindest Regards to All.

Edited by David Rakoczy

p.s. if you enjoyed Saul's link... you'll LOVE this one:

When the British economist John Maynard Keynes was accused of "flip-floping" he responded "When I am presented with new information I change my position; what, sir, do you do with new information?"

Edited by Saul Rodgar

"Sir, these measures are put in place for your protection."

Something I noticed a lot when I was in LA, not sure about other parts of the USA, is that a lot of security guards and other guys with jobs that require them to wear a uniform, seem to adopt this quasi military persona. Particularly when it comes to barking out orders, e.g. "Sir! You are required to stay behind the yellow line".

I even had a car park attendant say to me "Sir! You have to move your car"

Can anyone explain the reason for this? Are these guys all ex-military or do they just wish they were? Or do they think it makes them seem more authoritative? I found it either annoying or amusing depending on my mood, but it did seem widespread & I haven't encountered it in other countries.