Hi

I was told that the best film school was in New York. Is it true?? Or what do you think??

THanks

Hi Viviana,

Welcome!

There have been loads of discussions about this subject. If you haven't already, then head up to the search menu and key in "film school" I'm sure you'll find loads of info....

S

Edited by Serge Teulon

• Premium Member

FWIW the right school for you may or may not be the right school for others. It's kinda like buying clothes. . . you have your own style of learning and you need to find a school tailored to that (and which won't put you to living in a box. . .that comes AFTER graduation :lol: )

Best,

~Adrian

• Premium Member

Viviana,

What do you want to get out of film school and are you looking for a grad or undergrad program? Every school has its strengths and weaknesses. Some are strong in film theory and criticism, while others are strong in production. Some are better for making industry contacts, and others are better environments for artists and experimental filmmakers. And you also have to take into consideration the cost differences.

Just in my area (San Francisco), there are several options:

- Academy of Art (expensive, production-based, modern equipment)

- San Francisco Art Institute (expensive, artist-oriented, ?? equipment)

- San Francisco State University (affordable, theory-oriented with some production, old poorly maintained equipment)

- City College of San Francisco (dirt cheap, production-based, old equipment)

I went to City College and SFSU and don't regret it. I know folks who went to each of those schools, and they're all working regularly in the industry. Of course, I also know tons of folks who aren't. Most of those who aren't working didn't take advantage of their time in school - they didn't shoot on their own, didn't try to learn on their own, didn't try to get on professional sets on their own, and didn't try to network and make contacts, so it's not surprising that they're now not working in film. If you do all these things, then it probably doesn't matter much where you go - you'll find work anywhere. But if you're trying to get into production, I'd seriously consider going to a school in the LA/Hollywood area and making lots of contacts there, since that's probably where you'll end up working after graduation.

Viviana,

What do you want to get out of film school and are you looking for a grad or undergrad program? Every school has its strengths and weaknesses. Some are strong in film theory and criticism, while others are strong in production. Some are better for making industry contacts, and others are better environments for artists and experimental filmmakers. And you also have to take into consideration the cost differences.

Hi, im looking for a grad. I think im more into production, but to be honest im still confused. I love San Francisco and if i can find a school i like and get a chance of going there, i totally would. After what you said, it sounds to me that the best choices are:

-San Francisco State University and Academy of Art

I agree with you that everything depends on the person, not the school. Doesnt matter if its expensive or not, you still gotta give the best of you. But, at least for me, im looking for a school that will make me feel confortable too.

Im thinking too about LA, the contacts are important wether i like it or not and well, Hollywood is there. Im guessing that if I o to a school there, i would be related to the "atmosphere" and that way when i finish my studies i wont feel completely lost. But all are just guessings.

thanks for helping!! :lol:

• Premium Member
After what you said, it sounds to me that the best choices are:

-San Francisco State University and Academy of Art

If LA is an option, I'd be looking at AFI and Chapman for production. Only go to SFSU if you want to spend a lot of time watching movies and writing about them. On the other hand, they have some truly great professors in this area - Bill Nichols for example teaches a great documentary film class. You won't find those film history and film theory classes at Academy, which is more of a trade school.

SFSU does have a real soundstage but most of the production classes are not very helpful for an aspiring professional technician in my opinion. The one exception I can think of is Pat Jackson's post-production sound class - Pat was a sound editor on films like "Apocalypse Now," "K19", and "Jarhead." She's a fountain of knowledge, very energetic, and extremely helpful. SFSU has a club called the "Cinema Collective" which is run by a group of film students. If you go there, I'd recommend joining the Collective as they are very energetic about putting on events, workshops, and getting their members on a lot of productions. Many former members are now working professionally in LA and SF and continue to contribute to the club.

For cinematography, I highly recommend John Aliano's classes at City College over the classes at SFSU. John's a working DP who treats all of his students as aspiring DPs and teaches them the basics of AC/grip/electric work as well as exposure and lighting. Also, CCSF is a community college, so you can just take the classes that you want without going thru a program. The students are generally older than at SFSU, 20s-50s, which makes for a more diverse creative environment (not everyone's trying to be the next Tarantino).

Anyway, good luck choosing a school. Let us know how it goes. :)