"T.V." Lenses for my Bolex

John King

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had experiences with so-called "T.V." lenses for cameras. I have bought some of these lenses for my Bolexes and they are very clear, and I noticed without any sort of coating, or so it would seem. What I mean is these lenses do not have any reddish or bluish veneers that are associated with coatings. The lenses are described as fast, and will cover Super16. Just wondering if any of y'all have come into contact with such lenses and what you think about them.

Thanks in advance!

JMK

Thanks Brian!

Could you elabourate a bit on the terrible quality with colour stocks? Could it be anything that could be fixed with filters? If so any ideas, recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

JMK

Thanks Brian!

Could you elabourate a bit on the terrible quality with colour stocks? Could it be anything that could be fixed with filters? If so any ideas, recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

JMK

Soft, low contrast - more like the filters are already in. I suspect, these TV lenses were intended for shooting B & W, not shooting colour.

Thanks again Brian!

OK, I hope to be able to bother you just a little bit more. You're experiences were that the footage came out soft looking, do you thik adding light or adjusting the lense iris a stop more can make the outcome more acceptable with colour film?

Form what you're saying, I get the impression that these lenses are just a tad slow for colour stock (ie. seeming as if they are already filtered), so I was thinking that maybe this could be compensated by adding more light or by opening up the iris another 'f' stop or so. Also of these two options which do you think would be best more light or a more opened lense iris?

Again, Thanks in advance!

JMK

Thanks again Brian!

OK, I hope to be able to bother you just a little bit more. You're experiences were that the footage came out soft looking, do you thik adding light or adjusting the lense iris a stop more can make the outcome more acceptable with colour film?

Form what you're saying, I get the impression that these lenses are just a tad slow for colour stock (ie. seeming as if they are already filtered), so I was thinking that maybe this could be compensated by adding more light or by opening up the iris another 'f' stop or so. Also of these two options which do you think would be best more light or a more opened lense iris?

Again, Thanks in advance!

JMK

These were exteriors, so were pretty bright and the lens stopped down. Speed wise they were f1.8, however, the optical quality just wasn't up to scratch. The best thing is to test the lenses you're thinking about buying by shooting some film with them - wide open will show all the faults.

Personally, I'd buy some Kerns for a Bolex.

I have several C-mount lenses originally designed for TV use that I am very happy with (color and b/w). There are so many different types and brands you have to look at it lens model to lens model. Generalizations here are (as usual) not accurate.

Nowadays, companies like Schneider, Pentax, Nikon and others are making c-mount lenses for 2.5 +megapixel HD cameras that are very high quality and perfectly suitable for 16mm. And they are fairly affordable too.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecommerce/C...CFSEragodr3H6qg

http://www.jknelectronics.com/lenses.htm

Note: For 16mm use 2/3" lenses, for S-16 use 1" lenses.

And you make want to make a search for this subject has been discussed here before.

The high end C mount lenses listed there would be a lot better than the lens I was using.

Since the lenses have already been bought, the best thing is to shoot some tests.

Brian & Saul,

I want to thank you both so much for all your advice and help. Yes, Saul thanks I will be sure to check into those sites and past threads here. Guys, again I can't thank you enough. Its folks like you that really make me love this site!

Thanks and God Bless!

JMK

• 3 months later...

Hello!

Just thought I would write a quick note to let you know how things went. I shot some test footage (using Fuji 64D) and my TV lenses ( a 12.5mm and a 50mm) I was really worried cause all I could tell about my lenses were that they were "T.V." and apparently made in "Japan" (This was all the information, beside the focal length, that was on them, no brand name).

I shot about 200ft and sent it off to Color Lab in Rockville Maryland. I got a good negative report but had them strike a work print anyway so I could see the results in reversal. I was pleasantly surprised. The images were clear and good, I was very please with my 'cheapie' Japanese lenses!

Thanks for all your help!

Happy Holidays!

JMK

Good deal. Yeah modern lens making technology yields some pretty good "no name" lenses these days. I dunno how good the lenses would hold up if you blew up your 16mm to 35mm, but short of that you would be looking good at this level of film making. Let any naysayers spend 100 times more for "better 16mm glass."

I just wish modern 16mm cameras supported c-mount. :(

Yeah! That's really a shame. I've got some really great lenses in C-mount. This is one of the reasons why I like these Bolex cameras. The EBM, as you know does have the bayonet mount, but at least you can get a good adapter and put it in easily and use your C-mount lenses. I think I'll always appreciate Bolex for that (and they fact that they didn't screw around with their cameras too much from model to model!)

Thanks again Saul for all you help!

JMK

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There are some bargains out there in quality lenses if you keep your eyes open. Two years ago I bought a nice little, mint quality, Rank Taylor Hobson (manufactured by Sopolem) 12-120mm f3.3 c-mount zoom off eBay for $150. I checked with RTH before I bid and they told me the lens is rated for S16 throughout its entire range.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello John N. Campbell,

Yes I got a fairly short zoom (85mm on the long end I believe) but have not used it. Mostly sticking with my prime lenses (the camera came with one of those big POE zoom lenses but I use it very little) I bought these lenses from a fellow out in Calif named Vic Olam and I can tell you that EVERY lens I bought off of this guy came to me in PERFECT beautiful condition. He's one of my favourite ebay sellers.

Hello Hal Smith

That 12-120mm zoom you have; Is it as big and hefty as the Angie? If so do you have to have an extra lens support for it or will it work as is in the regular 'C-mount' adapter?

Thanks for the info!

JMK