My K3 Has Arrrived

Ira Ratner

Got it yesterday, and it looks like the thing has NEVER been used. Spotless and clean beyond belief...still SMELLS brand-new...and not even a drop of dust visible in the lens assembly. The seller says it was made in 1990, and since I haven't looked for the serial number or tried to find its dating, I'll take him at his word.

Unfortunately, yesterday was also my 19th wedding anniversary, so instead of loving my new camera, I had to concentrate on my other love.

I had no idea the thing would be so "massive," and tonight, I really start investigating. Yeah, I pulled the back off yesterday real quick (spotless in there), but didn't have the time to match it up against the manual and really study the workings, like to see whether or not mine even has those film guides there that a lot of people remove and that they say weren't incorporated into all K3s.

Gonna order the meter battery conversion thingy tomorrow, although I know that at 30 bucks, it's gotta be a complete rip-off. But I gotta have it.

You know what? This is FUN!

Edited by Ira Ratner

I really, really don't like the edit post restrictions on this site. Once you have a chance to review your post and fix a typo, and then want to either add or clarify something, too much time has elapsed and it doesn't let you.

And by time, I mean a minute and a half.

Mods? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with my Safari browser? Or is editing one's own posts highly restricted here?

You have to understand that some of us are heavy drinkers, but we still do our best to communicate clearly so that others don't have to suffer through our drunken, typo-laden posts.

Edited by Ira Ratner

• Premium Member

You know, every now and then I really consider getting a K3, I don't know why, particularly, 'cept that, yes, it is damned fun! and pretty small as cameras go and hey, no batteried (thinking of wandering throughthe woods with it!)

You know, every now and then I really consider getting a K3, I don't know why, particularly, 'cept that, yes, it is damned fun! and pretty small as cameras go and hey, no batteried (thinking of wandering throughthe woods with it!)

I'll tell you though--it weighs a TON. And its "labor-saving" pistol grip and shoulder stock don't seem to help a bit.

My shoulder was aching after just 2 minutes yesterday, so I just KNOW that this thing is going on a tripod 99% of the time. Yeah, a heavier camera can sometimes be easier to handhold and keep steady--but I don't think so with this configuration.

This camera needs a full shoulder brace (if that's what you call it) that totally sits on your shoulder. Not a little stick with a curved piece of plastic that you butt against your chest/shoulder to hold it steady.

• Premium Member

lol trust me, I can handle the heavy; I once ran around with an Arri BL2 on my shoulder. . . that was beastly! But, having held the K3 before I can tell you it a bit awkward. It's something you get used to but your shoulder/back never forgives you for!

If you really wanted to, of course, you may be able to rig something off of zacuto products for it. I've never personally tried, but it might be worth a look.

I'm open to suggestions, so if you can point me to products there, PLEASE DO. I'm a newbie to 16mm.

Yesterday, it was like adjusting the length of the stock to fit my arm length, trying to wedge the edge on my shoulder, how to bend/position my arms to get comfortable, etc., and nothing worked. In time, I guess I'll figure it out.

But the Russians were never masters of ergonomics in the first place, and I guess the K3 is a shining example of that.

Edited by Ira Ratner