Ludacris - Music Video - RED #81x - Las Vegas

• Premium Member

Nobody wants to wait for that when you're waiting to see whether you should move on or do another take. In camera in infinitely better. When everyone involved is happy, you can move on rather than wait to check stuff on a computer.

I really dig your work, the Luda video looks awesome, the lighting and angle selections are slick. The part with Luda recording in the studio is great. The hot top light that over exposes reminds me of Bob Richardson's lighting, I love the flare that comes in too. Great work.

From looking at your website I'm kind of heading towards your route of work. I just graduated from film school and have been shooting music videos in the VA Beach area. I haven't gotten anywhere in the ranks of your artist though. Biggest I've done is shot a music video on the RED that featured Willie Nelson (nicest dude I've ever met).

Any possibility you can shed some light on how you kept stepping up with your caliber of musicians you're shooting? What's your working relationship with most music video directors like? I find the one I work with the most is always scatter brained and it drives me a little crazy.

The running part of the Luda video going down the strip, what color temp were you running the RED at? f-stop?

If you get a chance man check out my website - www.singhoweyam.com

I'd like to hear your critiques on my work. Unfortunately I'm waiting to get 4 music videos from the production so I can update

SHY: Hey, thanks. Bob Richardson...gonna have to deflate my head now... :rolleyes:

Your site is really nice, I like the design. I liked the video you shot for Victory Records also, they are a fun label for shooting grungy dirty rock videos. I was supposed to do Clipse video in Virginia Beach a while ago.

Each director is different, especially in different genres but in general its important to watch all of their previous work and find out what looks they want to see in their videos and try to execute them.

Matt Garrett would probably remember, but I think the running part was 3200k. Not sure, most likely wide open t2.1. We were using Standard Speeds which gave a nice look for the video I thought.

Matt and Chris: I feel like I have a better idea of what is in focus by looking at the 23" monitor on the RED then the optical viewfinder of a 435. But I'm not trying to be scientific about it, most of my stuff ends up downrezzed to SD and youtube.

personally i think being able to check focus on a laptop at 1:1 pretty much instantly is way better.

No offense Matt, but being able to judge focus is part of a camera operator's job. They can be fired (along with focus pullers) for soft shots.

I operate most of my own shots, and I need to be able to tell the director and 1st straight away whether the take was good or not. The time it takes to watch the shot back on a laptop is time that could be better spent in other ways.