16:9 , super 35mm ??

Matias Nicolas

• Premium Member
I read that the chip of the REd cam , is 24.4 x 13,7 super 35 mm ... but if I divide those measures , gives me 1:78 proportion ... can sbdy explain me this? why 1:78 is the equivalent of super 35 mm ?

Super-35 doesn't have any specific aspect ratio -- it just means you are exposing an image across the Full Aperture width in 35mm. Generally Super-35 extractions are 24mm wide, and generally are composed for widescreen projects, including 16x9 (1.78).

You could consider 3-perf 35mm to be "Super-35" since it uses Full Aperture instead of Academy Aperture width, though most don't bother to call 3-perf "Super".

If you want to be precise, then you'd say that 4-perf 35mm Full Aperture is 24.84mm x 18.67mm. But the term "Super-35" is a lot more imprecise when it comes to aspect ratio since it is, by nature, meant to be used for creating multiple aspect ratios.

One thing to note though is that current 4K recording on the RED is 4096 pixels across, which lies inside the 4520 pixel width of the sensor, so currently the actual image area is around 22mm wide instead of 24mm wide.

• Premium Member

Three perf is almost always shot super centered and full width today, but in the beginning we actually used three perf with the Academy center and side lines, 0.825" instead of 0.945" wide. This was because of burn-in on the old Rank telecines, and soon disappeared when they developed burn compensation. Because there's no way to contact print three perf to anything projectable, there's no more reason to want to make it Academy.

-- J.S.