best lenses?

Yusuf Aslanyurek

Hello all,

first of all im interested most used lenses in us.

as I know in europe countrys people working mostly with zeiss and cooke because primo or lets say panavision is expensive or not renting.

what is Xtal express ? (is it some mount for zeiss?)

last question, is here anybody heard about new master primes?

last question, is here anybody heard about new master primes?

Master Primes Website

Quote from Max Jacoby Re: Master Primes:

Arri and Zeiss always felt that they could improve on the Ultra Primes, which is why the Master Primes.

Up to now lens design has always been a compromise between breathing and close focus, but with the Master Primes this has been solved due to the use of dual floating elemtents. While the Ultra Primes do breathe a bit, this has been eliminated with the Master Primes.

I don't think the range is overkill (except maybe the 32mm and the 35mm), it is the usual range one encounters on a feature film. If anything one will need to complement them with very long (135mm and 180mm) and very short (10mm, 12mm, 14mm) Ultra Primes.

You can find that post here.

I dont know, as i see on pictures (anomorphic films) lenses are good enough

and i heard from lots of dp's that its best lenses. smooter and warmer.

zeiss are sharp and high contrast with low abberations.

you know what, our tests showing Lomo (russian) lenses are also have high resolution but they have bad picture. Im very interested in test of primos too. is anybody know on net or book good test of primos ?

• Premium Member
what is Xtal express ? (is it some mount for zeiss?)

Xtal Express are spherical lenses that have been transformed into anamorphic by I think Joe Dunton. Panavision rents them out, there is a Zeiss Set (adpated Superspeed probably), Cooke (adapted Cooke S3) and Canon. They all come in a BNCR mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Max Jacoby wrote:

> Xtal Express are spherical lenses that have been transformed into anamorphic by I think Joe

> Dunton. Panavision rents them out, there is a Zeiss Set (adpated Superspeed probably), Cooke > (adapted Cooke S3) and Canon. They all come in a BNCR mount.

Watch "The War Zone", directed by Tim Roth, shot by Seamus McGarvey, BSC -- I belive they used the Cooke Xtal Express lenses.

cheers,

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney