Am I just getting old?

Adam Frisch FSF

I sincerely try to be open for any new film done with some style and originality, even if it is not in a style I like or about a subject I find fascinating. Actually, I sometimes have to force myself to see new releases because I know the chance of finding a jewel among the rubble has become so small.

When I read comments about new films in this forum, I try to understand and share the excitement for movies considered as works of quality, but most of the time I feel disappointed after seeing the film myself.

I could describe my sense of disappointment about certain films, but most of the time it makes people angry because they find it insulting or suspect one wants to doubt their ability to judge.

Reactions range from "If that film is not good enough for you, which is?" to "You prefer some pretentious art film?".

In fact, I was raised on mainstream entertainment like STAR WARS or RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and came to see and like art films and classics much later and on a trial and error basis. So I should be used to and excited by every new reincarnation of the post-1980s BLAM (Big Loud Action Movie) like a frequent McDonald's customer who never thinks of giving up his BigMac or craves for more refined food.

For myself, I have come to this temporary conclusions:

- I try to see as many old movies as possible in theatres because that's the way they were meant to be seen. There are so many excellent films that I could do very well without new films.

- The danger in that is that it spoils the viewer for many new films because he usually remembers seeing something comparable, only better acted, photographed and directed years or even decades before.

- With new films, and especially those that get praised the most, I try to expect nothing and be open for what good can be found.

- Craftsmanship and quality of single elements like acting, photography and writing has little to do with what I consider a film's total quality. Yesterday I saw - on DVD, I have to admit - Christopher Nolan's THE PRESTIGE which is considered a good film by most people who saw it. What I saw was a sum of qualities: Fine actors, an acceptable script, good photography and even a surprising turn to end the film. My respect to everyone involved, they certainly did their best to make this a film worth seeing. But THE PRESTIGE with all its qualities had no impact on me, raised to interest or emotion except some hope that they would not use the Tesla character as a mere gadget, which is what happened. - This is what happens to me with most new quality films, I feel they are only well-meant extensions of their own previews.

All of this is insignificant to the world, and I realize that I am not in the age target group for THE DARK KNIGHT although I love superhero movies. Again, I watch and listen how others seem to get excited and praise it as the best film they have seen in years. For them it must be so, I do not doubt their words, but I am grateful if at least some sequences in a quality film have an impact on me, like the sequence with the eyeless monster in PAN'S LABYRINTH.

To me it seems that people who know only the films of the last five to ten years and no classics at all have more fun. You can enjoy the imitation more if you haven't seen the original - funny that FLASH GORDON was mentioned in this thread, I enjoyed it when I was a kid and like it more the older I get. A film that was almost painful for me to watch again in a theatre was STAR WARS because in the meantime I had seen the great classic action and adventure movies that it borrowed from and felt embarrassed by Mr Lucas' borrowings from Carlos Castaneda books.

Maybe someone who only has seen FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (2004, dir. John Moore) will consider it a great film, maybe he would be bored by FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (1965, dir. Robert Aldrich) and complain about lack of action and the actors looking average to ugly compared to today's leading men.

On the other hand, who remembers STAGECOACH (1965, dir. Gordon Douglas), THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI (1962, dir. Robert Kay) or M (1951, dir. Joseph Losey)? :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just have to face the fact that most films made that get a run in theatres are sub-par films for the masses. The majority of us need more in a movie than just stuff blowing up.

I work at Blockbuster and I can't tell you how many times this happened:

Me: "I see you have del Toro's The Orphange...you realize its a foreign film, right?"

Customer: *blank stare*

Me: "So you'll have to read subtitles because all of the dialogue is in Spanish."

Customer: "What? Do you have any copies in English?"

Me: "No...Spanish filmmaker...Spanish actors...Spanish film. It's really go..."

Customer: "We live in America! A film should be in English! I don't want it."

Me: "Are you sure you don't want to give it a try? It's really good. It's the same guy that did Pan's Labyrinth which won Oscars in Cinematography and Art Direction..."

Customer: "I don't want it. We live in America, damnit..."

I almost flipped out on a lady when this happened the other day. I'm really tired of people renting mind-melting crap, complaining to me that it sucked, and not taking my advice to rent something that doesn't have 200 copies on the wall. Then they go grab the newest Segal movie and it starts all over.

I am by no means a film snob...but the crap people watch...my god...

Edited by nerdfighter

I admire what you just said. Um, I do admit that some sci-fi's are very creative, but I guess what I meant was that it seemed that once they started with one big sci-fi film, it seemed that they all wanted to make one.

Also, I agree with what you said about 2001. Maybe I just, didn't get it. For the last time I saw it was when I was like 8, so I most likely didn't get it. Oh and I just want to add, pink floyd rocks.

I also wanted to let you know that, I don't disrespect your opinion on any point. I just wanted to understand you a little better. So I'm sorry if you thought I was putting your opinion down.

Hey John,

By no way did I ever think that you disrespected or were putting my opinion down on any point.

This is a forum and its point is to give all of us the opportunity to share and to add our 2 cents. If someone takes it the wrong way then as far as I'm concerned, and as long as you weren't rude or patronising, that is their problem.

You are right in that when an really original recipe is found suddenly all you see is different variants of the original. Too much money made from copycats. But on the flip side it gives ppl like us the possible opportunity to work on some organised films whilst trying to reach our original goals.

I would've never got 2001 when I was 8, so I would definitely watch it again. Hope you enjoy it this time!

Hey John,

By no way did I ever think that you disrespected or were putting my opinion down on any point.

This is a forum and its point is to give all of us the opportunity to share and to add our 2 cents. If someone takes it the wrong way then as far as I'm concerned, and as long as you weren't rude or patronising, that is their problem.

You are right in that when an really original recipe is found suddenly all you see is different variants of the original. Too much money made from copycats. But on the flip side it gives ppl like us the possible opportunity to work on some organised films whilst trying to reach our original goals.

I would've never got 2001 when I was 8, so I would definitely watch it again. Hope you enjoy it this time!

Very true.

And I definetly am going to watch it again. There I just put it on netflix. :)

Hello Mr. Fighter. Would I be too familiar to simply call you "Nerd?" Most of the folks, here, would prefer exchanging posts with you if you could use your real, first and last name. I did enjoy your previous post, by the way.

Hey, what the hell is this post about? Why be so nasty about it?

When you register, you're not REQUIRED to use your first and last name, and not only do a lot of people simply miss the site's request to do so, but I think the rest of us who DO include all are total retards:

Identity theft is a very real thing, and the people who DON'T want to list full names are the smart ones. The rest of US are the dopes.

What the hell is the point of listing full names anyway? And why would anyone CARE!?

So your premise that "most people would want to exchange posts with you if you used your real name" simply ain't the truth:

Not only aren't most of us that anal, but we're not even EXCHANGING posts here--we're just MAKING posts.

Lighten up.

Edited by Ira Ratner

You know.. The films coming out of Hollywood these days are not bad really.. I mean they are not good films (for sure) but calling them unadulterated crap is not right. Personally i loved the dark knight (though its not a very good movie).. The characterization of the villain was brilliant :ph34r: ... As many of the other members pointed out.. when you grow up ur taste gets more refined and you tend to expect more from a movie..

Sure movies are an art form but you forget what the real reason behind movies are.. To entertain... these superhero movies (I hated them all xcept for dark knight) deliver that entertainment to most of the masses.. I i a film student in india and you should see the movies here.. The majority of the movies are really bad so ive learnt to see movies with an open mind and enjoy them the best i can. This doesnt mean i dont appreciate good movies but rather learnt to appreciate all kinds of movies..

So dont blame the Hollywood movie industry.. Blame your own taste for getting more refined :P .. Seriously try watching a few indian movies (not the famous ones.... the common garden variety ones.. India is 1 o the largest factories of films in the world) if u want a taste of wat im talking about

• Premium Member
When you register, you're not REQUIRED to use your first and last name, and not only do a lot of people simply miss the site's request to do so, but I think the rest of us who DO include all are total retards:

Nah, it's just the standard practice with this website, and it's quite appreciated. It's not like they ask for the last four digits of you social security number. My real name is Justin Hayward (total coincidence) and if anyone tried to steal my identity, they would be trying to steal the identity of the Moody Blues singer.

Thing is, it's weird to answer a question from somebody whose name is "joeymainiac4eva"... or something. I do follow some other websites and it's weird to answer questions from people that are so anonymous, we know they could care less what they respond. They may say anything (true, untrue, outrageous, despicable, brilliant, absurd, incomprehesible, sickening or silly) but it doesn't matter cause their name is miles away from it.

Edited by Justin Hayward

I used to have my name in my signature, but I do not anymore. I'm not a professional in the industry, and my name doesn't carry much weight. I do not like using my full name on the internet. I used to be pretty lenient about it, but I've since changed my mind on the issue.

Moreover, being that most forums discourage using real names, most people who frequent multiple forums are probably more used to calling people by their user names. So really, this forum is the exception to the rule.

Nerdfighter was a place holder until I came up with a better display name than what I originally had (which I've grown to dislike). My current username is what I use second most (my first choice was taken by an account I had made when I didn't realize I could change my display name on this account).

Call me Joe-Bob the fourth if that makes it easier for you to answer questions...or whatever...

And it's Miss Nerd...or Fighter...

Most just call me Prae.

;)

Edited by Praetorian

• Premium Member
..........Call me Joe-Bob the fourth if that makes it easier for you to answer questions...or whatever...

..........And it's Miss Nerd...or Fighter...

..........Most just call me Prae.

Requiring real names slows down the inevitable trolling and flame wars when people are allowed to hide behind anonymous names like Praetorian. By the way, did you know that the Praetorians were initially guardians of Roman Emperors and Generals? Later they became assassins and corrupt officials....it seems your Display Name favors their subsequent history as flaunters of the Lex Romana.

Requiring real names slows down the inevitable trolling and flame wars when people are allowed to hide behind anonymous names like Praetorian. By the way, did you know that the Praetorians were initially guardians of Roman Emperors and Generals? Later they became assassins and corrupt officials....it seems your Display Name favors their subsequent history as flaunters of the Lex Romana.

Who says these are all real names? Regardless of what name you post under, you are still anonymous.

Then call me Pax Romana Praetorian. Whatever floats your boat.

I stopped giving out personal information when a zealous fan of a television show I worked out found my online journal that I thought was between myself and a few select friends (who would work that hard to find my journal anyway?). They posted an entry I had made about working on the show on fan boards, and it eventually was seen by the crew and director. Though the director was rather nice about it, he expressed his disappointment and I felt like unprofessional crap. So no...I don't like giving out my personal information including my real name on the internet.

Edited by Praetorian

Who says these are all real names? Regardless of what name you post under, you are still anonymous.

Then call me Pax Romana Praetorian. Whatever floats your boat.

I stopped giving out personal information when a zealous fan of a television show I worked out found my online journal that I thought was between myself and a few select friends (who would work that hard to find my journal anyway?). They posted an entry I had made about working on the show on fan boards, and it eventually was seen by the crew and director. Though the director was rather nice about it, he expressed his disappointment and I felt like unprofessional crap. So no...I don't like giving out my personal information including my real name on the internet.

Well, any user of Latin is a friend of mine. Yeah, the real name thing comes back to bite you in the ass sometimes. It *really* pisses me off, more than anything, when someone does a search engine on your name. To me that is like hiring a private eye to spy on someone.

It's one thing, you know if they're famous and you're looking for information on someone's work, another thing entirely when you're digging for dirt or trying to find out their personal life.

I give my email, phone number, cell number to anyone who asks, but to those who don't ask, and just take, it feels like having your identity stolen.

Of course, the younger generation as a whole probably is completely opposite in their views. They feel entitled to all informatoin about everthing, which to me seems very Orwellian.

Edited by Karl Borowski

Well, any user of Latin is a friend of mine. Yeah, the real name thing comes back to bite you in the ass sometimes. It *really* pisses me off, more than anything, when someone does a search engine on your name. To me that is like hiring a private eye to spy on someone.

It's one thing, you know if they're famous and you're looking for information on someone's work, another thing entirely when you're digging for dirt or trying to find out their personal life.

I give my email, phone number, cell number to anyone who asks, but to those who don't ask, and just take, it feels like having your identity stolen.

Of course, the younger generation as a whole probably is completely opposite in their views. They feel entitled to all informatoin about everthing, which to me seems very Orwellian.

I know. It felt pretty horrible to have someone post my private stuff online. I have my journal protected now. But I felt like total crap. I mean, it wasn't stuff that was a big deal. It just had a blurb about some harmless hijinks that if Discovery had seen it, wouldn't be very happy. I was excited as hell to share the awesome time I had working with my friends, so I wrote pretty much everything that happened throughout the day. It was my first major lesson in carefully guarding what happens on set.