MiniDV - Are there any made, that allow you to record 4 channels audio In?

Matt Pacini

I'm setting up a MiniDV camcorder to record my video tap out of my film camera, and I would also like to record my dialog right onto the same tape (through INPUTS, not the onboard mic), and it would incredible if I could get 4 channels in.

I know the MiniDV spec allows for 4 channels, but are there any cameras out there where you can actually record that IN REAL TIME?

I'm setting up a MiniDV camcorder to record my video tap out of my film camera, and I would also like to record my dialog right onto the same tape (through INPUTS, not the onboard mic), and it would incredible if I could get 4 channels in.

I know the MiniDV spec allows for 4 channels, but are there any cameras out there where you can actually record that IN REAL TIME?

"DV allows either 2 digital audio channels (usually stereo) at 16 bit resolution and 48 kHz sampling rate, or 4 digital audio channels at 12 bit resolution and 32 kHz sampling rate."

So unless you don't mind 12bit 32kHz, I'd say it be a no go. Then again, I don't know of any cameras that record 4 channels on to MiniDV tape anyway.

The XL1s and XL2 can do this (okay, I'm a little unsure about the XL1s, but the XL2, definitely. Says so right in the manual). Yes, it is 12 bit instead of 16. They also have XLR adapters specifically made to record fourr channels simultaneously for the XL series, but you can do it without the adapter, though I don't know exactly how. Never tried. But it can be done.

Edited by Josh Bass

• Premium Member

It's just hate mongering Phil, while I am no fan of Obama, no where in the bible (and there is no book called Revelations, rather Book of Revelation), is there any description of this 'anti-christ' as this ad would like you to think. It's pretty ignorant actually as it is filled with miustruths abot the perosn. For instance Obama is not Muslim. Religion sadly is often used as a mask for hate.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp

What the hell are you guys talking about?

And why did this end up in my post?

I haven't hung out here in a while.

Has all the political hate-attacks that come with US presidential elections on this board started again?

I guess Andrew's signature included the infamous Obama the Antichrist .jpeg, to which Phil objected and Walter responded. At some point Andrew took it off, and those of us that didn't see it in the first place were left wondering what the hell had happened.

HATE!! One thing the world seemingly can't have enough of.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

The Canon XL2S is supposed to do four channels, but I think there is some kind of gotcha thrown into the mix.

Four starters, the 12k bit rate may not be good enough quality. I don't totally agree with the idea that 12K can handle the dynamic range of the human voice. It may handle the EQ of the voice, but the actual dynamic range of the voice may not come out good enough. However, others claim it is good enough...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2-watch...t-audio-ok.html

Loading all four audio channels in at the same time can be tricky, but apparently can be handled by certain software, as is stated in the link I provided above. One thing I don't like is two of the audio inputs are RCA, and two are XLR. I'd prefer they were all XLR.

And here is a short troubleshooting guide related to the audio...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4500401_troubleshoot-canon-xl2.html