Brown filtering; Sepia, Tobacco, etc.

Hey All

I have a job in a month and it's set in 1930's in the fields of Delaware. To establish this feel I want to use some type of a brown filtering; Sepia, Tobacco, etc. Does anyone have recommendations of any type or brands to use? Or any other kind of filters that could possibly work?

Originally I was going to use an orange color but now darker earth tone is really what the film needs. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Well The Godfather used a lot of yellow light which then many period films afterward emulated for years, you might try testing that. Tiffen is pretty much the industry workhorse so I'd probably go with them. As far as type, that's gonna be up to you because only you know what your movie should look like and each "type" will give you a variant so you have to decide what look you want. Filters will have varying increments of filtering strength so once you've decided which filter to use, then you'll need to decide how strong you want that filter to be which will in turn effect the camera setting but, of course how, how you light the frame and gels you use will also play a major part, perhaps the most important part in the look of your film so that will be one of the first things to factor in as well as the set and costume colors and design, so you see there are a LOT of things to consider when deciding how to create the "look" of a film.

Also how will you be doing your post?

If you are you a DI you may want to expose normal and add color later.

One job I worked on shifted from using a Tobacco or Tobacco like filter during its first several seasons and then left it to the post guys to do.

Most Colorists would prefer the DP don't do anything that limits what they can do in the post house. But that is the subject for another thread.

Best

Tim