How to obtain this look through a grade

ben g

Hello,

I've just finished filming a 16mm short film on kodak 50d.

I was looking to obtain a similar look to this music video:

http://mattiasmontero.com/music-videos/the-libertines/

My film was shot in a very similar location as the outdoor field scenes in this clip.

Any recommendations on what I would need to do in telecine/online to get a similar grade?

Thanks

Hello,

I've just finished filming a 16mm short film on kodak 50d.

I was looking to obtain a similar look to this music video:

http://mattiasmontero.com/music-videos/the-libertines/

My film was shot in a very similar location as the outdoor field scenes in this clip.

Any recommendations on what I would need to do in telecine/online to get a similar grade?

Thanks

The quickest and easiest way is, during the telecine, you should have already shown this video to the colorist and had ample discussions with her as to the look your going after. By send them the link and saying something like, just like this. It is not that hard of a look to get in the transfer. How did you shoot it? What was the lighting like? Did you attempt to get this look in camera, often the best way.

The quickest and easiest way is, during the telecine, you should have already shown this video to the colorist and had ample discussions with her as to the look your going after. By send them the link and saying something like, just like this. It is not that hard of a look to get in the transfer. How did you shoot it? What was the lighting like? Did you attempt to get this look in camera, often the best way.

It was shot over a couple of very cloudy days so we got a very nice and consistent soft light. The film was shot 2/3 stop overexposed with no filtration (apart from ND's).

I am sure to bring this music video to the telecine as a reference, however what I'm more interested is how someone would describe this look.

To my untrained eye it looks desaturated, contrasty and possibly some cyan in the blacks? Is that right?

How would you describe the look of this clip?

Thanks.

It looks like they deliberately shot underexposed because of the cloudy exteriors. There is detail in the sky, which would normally blow out if you exposed for skin tones. If you over exposed by 2/3rd's you might have trouble bringing down the latitude and still retaining details in the sky; depending on which format you shot.

Also, the skintone looks a bit green.

It was shot over a couple of very cloudy days so we got a very nice and consistent soft light. The film was shot 2/3 stop overexposed with no filtration (apart from ND's).

I am sure to bring this music video to the telecine as a reference, however what I'm more interested is how someone would describe this look.

To my untrained eye it looks desaturated, contrasty and possibly some cyan in the blacks? Is that right?

How would you describe the look of this clip?

Thanks.

I would describe it as somewhat desaturated and underexposed. Having overexposed 2/3 of a stop is not such a bad thing, considering that it is 16mm or is it super 16. But anyway, you can grade it to get pretty much the same thing as they have in the video. It think that with the 7201 you should be able to get what your looking for. Please post some results when all is said and done.