FUJI 500T 8572

brooklyn

Hi guys,

just wondering if anyone has advice for shooting location day (afternoon) interior scenes on the Fuji 500T 35mm stock? Does it respond well to HMI's or is it best to perhaps shoot with larger tungsten fixtures and correct them back? The film is a comedy, so it needs to have an understated style, but still a strong look. Just wanting to get some feedback aside from my own tests. Shooting GII with Primos. Small house, big windows.

Cheers from OZ

:D

• Premium Member

Are you planning on letting the light go blue and timing it out later?

The '72 stock is tungsten balanced, thus you would need to correct the daylight (either on the camera lens or on your light sources, or in timing).

As far as how '72 handles mixed light, I like it. I actually really like that stock. It has a cooler color pallet, leaning towards blue greens. I did some stuff where I used Tungsten lights and let a really big window just go blue. The stock handled it very well.

I found that it handled a very naturalistic approach very well. The stock is not real snappy, I would say lower in contrast to most other Kodak stocks. Fairly fine grained for 500 as well. I did some side by side tests of 5279 and 8572 projected the '72 appeared much more fine grained. It could be just how the Fuji stuff handles mid-tones, but nonetheless, it looked good.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Fuji F-500T is very similar to Kodak 5279 (Vision 500T) in graininess, latitude, etc. Shooting it in 35mm with an 85B filter for day interiors should work fine. If you are worried about the grain, I'd rate it slower than 500 ASA. It looks pretty nice rated at 320 ASA, for example, but then that's only 200 ASA with the 85B filter -- you might as well use Fuji 250D then, which is an even nicer stock.

Edited by David Mullen