Poppy Exterior Music Video

Matt Workman

Hi,

I'm interested in the lighting in the chorus (exterior sunset/day) scenes of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWasoCQnN2k...feature=related

Also the bulk of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOEcM7KeDbc

The main idea is to set the exposure for the background. Also the blown out highlights in the sky have been pulled back in post and tinted.

For the foreground (singer) are they using hard light or soft? My main thought is a hard 18k for the wide shots and then a double diffusing it for the close ups.

Do people still use Arc lights for these kinds of set ups?

Matt

Based on a quick view of the videos there are some definates

• You need quite a bit of controlled daylight balanced light
  • you need a good grade - with secondary work on the highlights

Regarding the onset lighting - The videos are different (1st one is softer and 2nd one is harder)

I would say you have various options for the first video look

• some of the ECU work looks ringlit (at 56k)
  • CU - mount a large softlight ontop of camera (like Adam's girls aloud video)
  • Med - Wide - 18k through 12x12 diffusion

Another option would be to build a black cube (2 walls and a roof) around them using 20x20 blacks (just out of shot)

We just did that on a shoot last week against a white wall and it was really easy - there was no wind. It was really hard for me to not light this. We used only one 1k tungsten light as a backFX kicker. It was kind of liberating and cheap :rolleyes:

Here is a low res one light from the grade (SD tk from 35mm -5218 with 85) -

post-2211-1222842346.jpg

thanks

Rolfe

not a cube - we only use three black walls out of camera frame - (think of an U shape (but upside down))

This blocks sunlight from the top and sides and creates a very studio look using only daylight

It only works on small shots - like 20ft and less (unless you want to get into rigging issues)

Then you don't need any lights... I know how hard it is to want to bring lights in but they ruin this effect.

Something like this

post-2211-1222874341.jpg

thanks

Rolfe

Hey Rolfe,

Thanks for the response. The black tent sounds interesting, I've never done that before.

I agree on the soft front light, either ringlight or chimera. The 18k through a 12x grid cloth sounds about right also.

Hopefully be testing this soon.

Thanks,

Matt

not a cube - we only use three black walls out of camera frame - (think of an U shape (but upside down))

This blocks sunlight from the top and sides and creates a very studio look using only daylight

It only works on small shots - like 20ft and less (unless you want to get into rigging issues)

Then you don't need any lights... I know how hard it is to want to bring lights in but they ruin this effect.

Something like this

post-2211-1222874341.jpg

thanks

Rolfe

This is very interesting, I've done something similar with silk on top and nets on the side but not with blacks all the way around...do you have more stills you can post for us to take a look?

I don't have any behind the scenes - it was just me and her. We were rushed and only had 3 hrs to get it all. I am going through a phase of trying to be less encumbered and get back to simple fun film making - so this was a personal shoot... a bit hard on 35mm but fun

I include a SD full res shot from Tk - the light from the front is so soft - cause it comes from the sky - you can see some of the black reflected in the 6x6 frame behind her. The highlights are actually reflections from the 1k PAR behind her. The costume was designed to use black - even down to the hood around her head

I learnt the technique from Frank Wartenberg - he did some great work with this girl Daniela using black cubes and reflective clothing - I can't find a pic on the web of it

post-2211-1222895859.jpg

thanks

Rolfe