Beta Transfers

Art Leal

• Premium Member
Actually, its Beta SP I need to have done. I know there are a ton of places advertised but would prefer hearing anyone who's had any direct dealings with a place.

Too bad you aren't in California, I could do the job for you. One issue to consider is if you want to have matching time code between the betacam sp and the mini-dv's. Oh wait, for mini-dv that isn't possible, only DV-Cam.

Too bad you aren't in California, I could do the job for you. One issue to consider is if you want to have matching time code between the betacam sp and the mini-dv's. Oh wait, for mini-dv that isn't possible, only DV-Cam.

Allesandro:

Don't need matching time code on this. It's a musician who is looking to have me edit his material which was shot some time ago. I recommended going to Mini DV so I may import into my NLE. The work I'm doing for him is non pay, since I'm working to build a reel (if I can call it that..lol).

Thank you for the offer!! I've heard of your expertise and passion with BetaSP. If you're so inclined, I'd be glad to send them to you (I think it's two tapes), and would gladly cover postage and whatever rate you can quote me.

My concern is if something happens in transit. I know one of a kind material is shipped all the time, but archival one of a kind stuff that realistically can't be recreated, what if something happened in shipping?

Spoke to him. He would be ok with it. Was going to ship it somewhere eventually anyway. Let me know if you're ok with it. Thanks again.

Have you looked into the J30 deck rental? It is a Sony deck that plays back Beta SP, among other formats, and has a firewire port so you can easily hook it up to a computer. I think they rent for somewhere in the 300 per day range, but weekend are often a deal, if that matters. Compare the deck rental to the transfer and ancillary costs.

Have you looked into the J30 deck rental? It is a Sony deck that plays back Beta SP, among other formats, and has a firewire port so you can easily hook it up to a computer. I think they rent for somewhere in the 300 per day range, but weekend are often a deal, if that matters. Compare the deck rental to the transfer and ancillary costs.

Thanks for that Chris, I'll give it a look.

• Premium Member
Spoke to him. He would be ok with it. Was going to ship it somewhere eventually anyway. Let me know if you're ok with it. Thanks again.

I hadn't considered that you might be shipping the tapes anyways. I missed the email notification when you responsed or I would have responded sooner. 300 bucks a day is a bit prohibitive for just transferring a couple of tapes to mini-dv.

If I did it you would be looking at $25.00 dollars per each betacam sp tape (the 20 or 30 minute tapes), assuming it is a straight transfer to DV, plus the cost of a DV tape (4 bucks each) one per betacam sp tape, and then shipping cost. If it turns out that these are 20 minute betacam tapes then I could put two on one dv tape, otherwise I don't like trying to squeeze to full 30's onto a 60 minute dv tape.

I hadn't considered that you might be shipping the tapes anyways. I missed the email notification when you responsed or I would have responded sooner. 300 bucks a day is a bit prohibitive for just transferring a couple of tapes to mini-dv.

If I did it you would be looking at $25.00 dollars per each betacam sp tape (the 20 or 30 minute tapes), assuming it is a straight transfer to DV, plus the cost of a DV tape (4 bucks each) one per betacam sp tape, and then shipping cost. If it turns out that these are 20 minute betacam tapes then I could put two on one dv tape, otherwise I don't like trying to squeeze to full 30's onto a 60 minute dv tape.

Allessandro I will leave a message in your Inbox. Thanks