Issues Importing EX-1 Footage into FCP

Jerome White

Hey everyone,

my co-worker has an issue importing the EX-1 clips into FCP. We was on a recent shoot together, and he dumped the footage from the SxS cards onto his computer. And after he was done he deleted the footage from the SxS cards. When dumping the footage, he just used the XDCAM Clip browser and it is saved onto his external hard drive. His issue is, how can he go about importing the clips into FCP since he did not import them through FCP?

Hey everyone,

my co-worker has an issue importing the EX-1 clips into FCP. We was on a recent shoot together, and he dumped the footage from the SxS cards onto his computer. And after he was done he deleted the footage from the SxS cards. When dumping the footage, he just used the XDCAM Clip browser and it is saved onto his external hard drive. His issue is, how can he go about importing the clips into FCP since he did not import them through FCP?

This shouldn't be an issue, he should be able to import the footage without any problems (Apple + i, then select clips). I have done the same process on my PC with my EX1 and haven't had any hang-ups. I work as an assistant editor with FCP... if your editor wants to send me a clip I'd be happy to try importing it at work and let you guys know how it goes.

-Dave

This shouldn't be an issue, he should be able to import the footage without any problems (Apple + i, then select clips). I have done the same process on my PC with my EX1 and haven't had any hang-ups. I work as an assistant editor with FCP... if your editor wants to send me a clip I'd be happy to try importing it at work and let you guys know how it goes.

-Dave

Thanks, I will tell him to do this and see how it goes. The clips are in multiple folders, it includes an XML file as well. So would he have to select more then one file? or can he just select all folders and it will automatically import them?

Thanks, I will tell him to do this and see how it goes. The clips are in multiple folders, it includes an XML file as well. So would he have to select more then one file? or can he just select all folders and it will automatically import them?

He should be able to set up his folder view options so he can select multiple files and import them in one fell swoop by setting the view so that it can drop down (triangles will be next to folders). I believe that will allow you to bring in multiple files at once.

Let me know how it goes, good luck!

-Dave

He should be able to set up his folder view options so he can select multiple files and import them in one fell swoop by setting the view so that it can drop down (triangles will be next to folders). I believe that will allow you to bring in multiple files at once.

Let me know how it goes, good luck!

-Dave

It still did not work. He sent me a screen shot of the folder and what it contains (see below). Maybe there is just one file he is suppose to import? This is how he is trying to import the file/folders. Here are his steps, File > Import > Files. He is running FCP 6.0.4. Sorry for the huge screenshot.

hwifys.png

Edited by Jerry White

I'm just sorry I can't see the background.

Try running that folder again through the clip browser software. You'll want to choose the option "export mxf for nles"

The screenshot just showed the folder he is unsure he should import.

the main xdcam folder > BPAV > CLPR > 689_0131_01 > an mp4 file, .smi file, .ppn file, .xml file, .bim file.

Is he suppose to import the whole folder that contains these files or the mp4? When he tries to import either the whole folder it does not work, as well as just importing the .mp4 file. I will tell him to try the export and let you guys know. We greatly appreciate the help so far though.

should be the BPAV as that is the main herarchial file structure folder. That would be imported into the clip browser software, or perhaps FCP ( not 100% on that as I use XDcam on the Avid)

Same thing I was thinking, but still says "error" when trying to import. Something told me to just import it through FCP first. But we figured we could just copy the files on the external hd and import them later.

• Premium Member

Think you're beyond being able to do that. Think you have to go through the clipbrowser software if it's not working. That should make it work. There is also a plugin for FCP that he ought make sure he has. Both are available on the sony xdcam website

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/r...eDownload.shtml

Think you're beyond being able to do that. Think you have to go through the clipbrowser software if it's not working. That should make it work. There is also a plugin for FCP that he ought make sure he has. Both are available on the sony xdcam website

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcam/r...eDownload.shtml

Wow this topic exploded since yesterday... have him select the mp4 file (the one with the Quicktime logo), that should import with it's native resolution just fine. An MXF file is needed for Avid, but FCP is Quicktime-based so I believe the mp4 should come in fine.

Also, if anything else goes wrong make sure he moves the window a little to the right so we can all get a peek at that background!

Edit: I see you said he tried to import just the mp4, is there a small size BPAV folder you can post up on an FTP? I can try it over here and see if it comes in.

Best,

-Dave

Edited by David Brickley