Terminator Salvation

In what was a primarily throwaway talk about the new Terminator film, the director mentioned that they were using a 'new' stock that has triple the amount of silver in the emulsion compared to current film. Trying to find anything else about this new stock or what format it's shooting in have left me with nothing. So now, I turn to the board.

Could tripling the amount of silver mean the stock has more sensitivity to light? What about grain, contrast and saturation? Can anyone else speculate what this may possibly mean (I could be barking up the wrong tree)?

I've seen the teaser trailer and it doesn't give much away (being a teaser and all), but much of it seems to have a blue-tinted and bleached out look on exteriors the most pronounced. It could be that this is attributable to digital grading instead of the stock, however.

Please, speculate with me or if you have a real answer please post it here. Thanks for all replies.

Guest Stephen Murphy

I've no idea what stock they're shooting on but i have heard they're using the Oz process, which is a silver retention process, so id imagine thats what the director is referring to, rather then a new negative.