Bolex RX5 timelapse + Tobin TTL motor

Arnis Hagendorfs

Hello!

Just got from telecine my second roll of timelapse movies I'm filming with Bolex RX5 and Tobin timelapse motor. It is my second first one was overexposed as I did not read manuals :). Picture looks ok I mean grain and color, first one started to grow out of focus, only thing which you can notice is that picture is not stable. So, here is question: Is it possible to adjust camera to get stable picture and if yes who here in Europe can do it well and not too expensive :)

here is link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01avgX4nyr8

Arnis

Hey--that is amazing stuff. But it's simply out of focus.

What speed film did you use? And the lens? And the F-stop?

Also, did you mount the camera on reliable tripod?

I don't really think the tripod has anything to do with it, but the focus/aperture sure does. For this kind of stuff, you have to be shooting at F16 for a minimum.

I used Vision 3 500T film with ND 0.9 filter, and exposure was around 8.0 and Switar 25mm lenses. Last scene is 25mm + 5mm macro ring. i don't think that problem is in tripod I used old Bolex aluminum tripod which seems very stable. Quality at youtube is not very good but out of focus is only first scene others are good.

That was Flushing Meadows, right? Or is there a Unisphere like that somewhere else?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean, but first two plants was beans and the last one - clover.

Hi again,

anyone know something about problem with unstable Bolex frame ?

I tend to find Bolexes rather stable even in single frame mode. Project the film with the frameline showing. If it breathes then it is something with the camera. Other factors could be in the film transfer to video.

• 2 weeks later...
I used Vision 3 500T film with ND 0.9 filter, and exposure was around 8.0 and Switar 25mm lenses. Last scene is 25mm + 5mm macro ring. i don't think that problem is in tripod I used old Bolex aluminum tripod which seems very stable. Quality at youtube is not very good but out of focus is only first scene others are good.

That was Flushing Meadows, right? Or is there a Unisphere like that somewhere else?

Sorry I don't understand what you mean, but first two plants was beans and the last one - clover.

With the TTL, the exposures are almost 1/2 second, so you need about 5 stops of ND. Unless you were metering an f4 and used f8, theres your overexposure.