12 Volt Batterys

Steven Wyatt

Guest Ole Dost
Hello everybody,

Can any body recommend any good places to get hold of a 12v battery? I'm looking to power my eclair NPR with it. Preferably looking for a place in the UK however am open to alternate locations.

Thanks,

Steven

Try to get hold on 12 V lead acid batteries. They are very cheap. No memory-effect. They are holding charge for long time. Have a look with google -you will certainly find some shop selling them very quickly. I am using them with my Eclair ACL and my Kinor 16s.

Regards,

Ole

Do you know what "shlep" means? That's Yiddish for carrying something that's way too heavy to be necessary for the shlepping.

Buy a 1/4 or 1/2 size 12V battery at a SPORTING GOODS store that sells them for little electric trolling motors for boats.

Sevylor is a major manufacturer of these motors and boats, and here's a U.S. link to a battery for 51 bucks, although they're worldwide:

http://www.sevylor.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRU122

It comes with a recharger and should give you MORE than enough power for most situations, provided you're not talking running heavy lights. But even then, who the hell knows.

At 51 U.S. bucks, you can get two.

And you won't get a hernia.

• Upvote 1

Guest Ole Dost
Do you know what "shlep" means? That's Yiddish for carrying something that's way too heavy to be necessary for the shlepping.

Buy a 1/4 or 1/2 size 12V battery at a SPORTING GOODS store that sells them for little electric trolling motors for boats.

Sevylor is a major manufacturer of these motors and boats, and here's a U.S. link to a battery for 51 bucks, although they're worldwide:

http://www.sevylor.com/dyn_prod.php?p=STRU122

It comes with a recharger and should give you MORE than enough power for most situations, provided you're not talking running heavy lights. But even then, who the hell knows.

At 51 U.S. bucks, you can get two.

And you won't get a hernia.

shlep is in fact a german word (infinitive "schleppen"), that became part of the very interesting language/dialect called yiddisch...

The battery you are recommending is exactly what I ment by lead acid battery. They are very inexpensive. They are heavier then NimH or NiCd Cells, but much cheaper and easier to use (no memory effect). The Internet shoud desplay some dealer in your area making shipping less expensive. I got mine for about 18 - 20 Euros (12V for my 16mm Cameras -Eclair ACL and Kinor - and 6 V for my Konvas 1M)

• Premium Member
The battery you are recommending is exactly what I ment by lead acid battery. They are very inexpensive. They are heavier then NimH or NiCd Cells, but much cheaper and easier to use (no memory effect). The Internet shoud desplay some dealer in your area making shipping less expensive.

The small lead acid types are made by Panasonic, GS, YUSA, Varta (probably Johnson controls) and a few other firms. Looking on the web for those names may give you a local lead. Industrialy they are used for emergency lights and mobile eqiupment.

A motocycle dealer may have simalar units with screw termoinals., although mostly in 12V versions.

The one advantage of the Fishing Motor bateries is that they are probaly the "deep Cycle" type which can stand being drained closer to the bottom, and being left. the regualr batteries like it best if they are run down no more than half and recharged the same day.