Question for Vadim Yusov... lenses used on Solaris

Kip Kubin

I finally have a music video that lends itself to the look of Tarkovsky's Solaris and in turn Vadim Yusov's Solaris. One of my favorite movies of all time.

I've come up empty on all searches for this topic so if Vadim is reading this or if anybody can help out...

What lenses were used on this film?

Thanks

Kip Kubin

• Premium Member

According to the book "Making Pictures: A Century of European Cinematography", the format was 35mm Sovscope (anamorphic). You can certainly see some anamorphic lens artifacts like elongated bokeh in the film. The article in the book also takes about the use of b&w and color film stocks in the film:

The usual shortage of color stock in the Soviet Union for minority-interest productions led to Eastmancolor being used only for the studio scenes in the space station, while Russian color negative (Sovcolor) was used for location footage, with interruptions of black and white in both. Tinting and the lower color saturation of the Russian negative help to integrate the look of the sections shot on different stocks.

Since it was shot in the early 70s, it would have used the square front LOMO anamorphics.

Not that the Soviets didn't also use foreign anamorphics.

There was an AC issue from the early 70s dealing with russia. it concained some on set photos of 'Solaris'. The camera there were a Mir and a Rodina. I'm fairly certain the Rodina had a Foton-A zoom on it, which is a 37-140mm square front anamorphic.