Final Test

Tom Hepburn

Hello,

I wanted to post what amounts to a camera test. You may recall that there was a blocthy grain thing going on a month or two ago. I've since had the camera serviced and had the film scanned in HD.

I threw some sound on it to keep it from getting to boring. Let me know if you see any mechanical shortcomings. It's also compressed quite a bit.

Eclair Test Footage

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hey Saul,

Thanks for the response.

Here is the workflow

Super 16

processing

Telecine to HD (Spirit, 1920x1080)

convert to stills (a long difficult and necessary step)

Now I expose "my little engine that could" computer

I'm basically editing by proxy.

-I take my HD footage (still sequence) into the my Premier Pro Timeline

At full 1920x1080 there is just no way.

-So I export the whole sequence at 480x270 with significant compression

-The next day ;) I edit with my reduced and compressed footage (saving early and ofter)

-When that's finished I duplicate my timeline and replace my reduced and compressed footage with my HD footage

-at this point, I compress to taste. Blueray as soon as I find a player to test it on.

I'm not sure if that's the info you were looking for, but there it is.

I would say that in the future (b4 I upgrade my computer) I'm going to get all of my Telecine converted to still sequences. To me it seems like that is one way to avoid platform and codec restrictions.

Let me know if there is any other info that might be helpful.

Thanks as always.

Tom

Edited by Tom Hepburn

this is gorgeous man! very well done, what glass did you used?

Best

Thanks Martin.

It's funny, two years ago I bought a Kodak Cini 100 off of ebay for 140 bucks. If you're not familiar, it has a turret with 3 lenses, a 75mm, 50mm, and 25mm. Six months ago I bought and Eclair ACL II (S16). I have a zoom for it, but since my cine 100 lenses covered the s16 and are obviously primes, I used those for this footage:

Cinor

Berthoit

Elgeet

The shots in the first half were very rushed and not crisp because of it-bad planning. When we heard the horn go off signaling the beginning of the race, everything was still in it's case. We couldn't get to "The" spot as there were just too many people to get around. I'll get up an hour earlier next year.

Tom

• 1 month later...
Super 16

processing

Telecine to HD (Spirit, 1920x1080)

convert to stills (a long difficult and necessary step)

Hi Tom:

EXCELLENT looking footage! Very nice. One question about your workflow to circumvent codec issues:

Do you get the transfer back from the lab as a series of stills, or are you doing that conversion yourself after the transfer is completed?

I'm doing a S16->HD transfer shortly and your workflow would be perfect for my situation. I assume you must be having the lab do the frame sequence export, but I haven't seen that as an export format yet at the places I've been looking into.

Cheers.

"EXCELLENT looking footage! Very nice. One question about your workflow to circumvent codec issues:

Do you get the transfer back from the lab as a series of stills, or are you doing that conversion yourself after the transfer is completed?"

Thanks Craig, I appreciate it.

"I'm doing a S16->HD transfer shortly and your workflow would be perfect for my situation. I assume you must be having the lab do the frame sequence export, but I haven't seen that as an export format yet at the places I've been looking into.

Cheers."

No, single frames/stills was not an option when transferred. The whole process was quite a pain and soap opera. You can read it here if you're really board:

can't see all footage

In short, I was forced to convert my footage to stills because I could only see a small portion of the footage when I imported it. Never did figure out why. I'd have to go back and check, but I believe I used Virtualdub to convert the original .avi

As a side note, it seems more and more of a challenge to get HD transfers put on a PC formatted hard drive. I have more footage on the way that will need to be converted to stills on my G4...ouch! Hope it can hold up.

All the best,

Tom