Using Standard 8mm Film to Practice Loading?

Ron Flex

Hi. I was thinking of buying some leader in order to practice loading my CP16A, since the lens is damaged, I wont be using real film anytime soon.

I remembered that I had a few spools of unused Kodachrome II, Standard 8mm. These can no longer be developed and I got them for about a pound each. Since standard 8mm is simply double perf 16mm film, could I use this to practice threading my camera properly?

Or is this a no go. I can see no difference in using 16mm leader to an old spool of standard 8mm.

I have managed to run 50ft of standard 8mm film through the CP16 only once. This is because I am finding it extremely difficult to thread the film through the felt rollers on the inside of the magazine.

It appears to be pot luck wether it will actually pop through the other side of the rollers. I can only get it through about 20% of the time. Is there a trick to this? Usually I start pushing it through and it just starts to loop in the little area between with plastic roller (which it goes behind) and the felt rollers.

This is with a Mitchell style magazine btw.

• Premium Member
Standard 8 will be fine for loading practice and to see if the camera runs without problems. The CP is tricky to load at first, so it's a good idea to practice.

Only risk is that as the perfs are closer together, you could get the wrong idea about acceptable loop sizes.

Only risk is that as the perfs are closer together, you could get the wrong idea about acceptable loop sizes.

I assume this is why the loops contantly tighten up to the point when the arm can no longer pull down the perfs. When I look at the perfs, it appears the arm has pulled down and torn it. Also the small plate and the piece that covers the arm keep kicking up. I assume this is all due to the differences in 16mm and Standard 8mm perfs, and not the way I am loading it. I have managed to run the full length through only twice.

• Premium Member
I assume this is why the loops contantly tighten up to the point when the arm can no longer pull down the perfs. When I look at the perfs, it appears the arm has pulled down and torn it. Also the small plate and the piece that covers the arm keep kicking up. I assume this is all due to the differences in 16mm and Standard 8mm perfs, and not the way I am loading it. I have managed to run the full length through only twice.

Probaly not-

The Regular 8 perfs are exactly half the distance apart from the 16mm perfs, so the camera if it is threaded corectly will just ignore the second set of holes. BUT you could thread a loop at say "3 1/2 frames" rather then a whole number which would be dictated when you eventually use "real" 16mm film. If the loops are the right size and all the guides are in place, rugular 8 stock should run fine in a 16mm camera.

Does the old stock you are trying to use have a vinegar smell to it? That might indicate that it has shrunk.

Probaly not-

The Regular 8 perfs are exactly half the distance apart from the 16mm perfs, so the camera if it is threaded corectly will just ignore the second set of holes. BUT you could thread a loop at say "3 1/2 frames" rather then a whole number which would be dictated when you eventually use "real" 16mm film. If the loops are the right size and all the guides are in place, rugular 8 stock should run fine in a 16mm camera.

Does the old stock you are trying to use have a vinegar smell to it? That might indicate that it has shrunk.

The film does have a strong acidic smell to it. I just tried again and it is working ok. The film is horribly old near enough 40 years old. With a expiry date of 1969! Thought I could use it for something rather than binning it.

The film does have a strong acidic smell to it. I just tried again and it is working ok. The film is horribly old near enough 40 years old. With a expiry date of 1969! Thought I could use it for something rather than binning it.

Clean that camera really well now.