Seurat

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member
My wife and I saw this at the Art Institute in Chicago. I can't help always automatically associating this painting with Super 8 and vice versa. That, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Could be the graininess in the picture, the colors as well as maybe how it's a painting of people by a lakeside park.

• Premium Member

I've thought of shooting a period piece in S8 using a reconstruction of Jatte as the opening. In a way, establishing the S8 image's credibility as a purposeful, pointillist presentation. Though, technically not pointillist in it's color blending phenomena the pronounced grain carried onto a 30-40' wide screen would be about right.

Dots? I thought that was grain :D

That is a cool painting. I've spend more than a couple of hours in front of that puppy, as well as in the whole Impressionist section. Even the frame is painted in dots. One thing to consider is because he was using large quantities of paint and did not buy them from a tube, apparently the colors have faded quite a bit. I wonder what it looked like 130 years ago. I'll bet it was almost like neon back in the day.

Tom